First loads of .38 Colt Automatic

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

teddydogg
    (1/5/03 1:36:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All First loads of .38 Colt Automatic
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After asking for help with loads for .38 ACP, I thought I'd show you the first results.

www.teddydog.org/sw/1903-target1.jpg

Not too good, really, but hell, the pistol IS 90 years old! I had 4 different loads using two different powders (Unique and Bullseye) under a 130-gr FMJ bullet. One load was clearly hotter than I'll want to shoot in her, but there were no signs of high pressure (there better not be as all of the loads were at the bottom of published .38 ACP loads). Groups with all were pretty much "patterns" around 6 to 8 inches at a mere 30 feet.

Oh, yeah...functioning was very good. I fired about 60 rounds and had two failures to feed--both in the same magazine.

I'll have to experiment with different bullets, I think. I'll slug the bore, too, in case its oversize. It should be safe to work with .357 and .358 bullets instead of the .355s I used first.

It is fun to put a fairly obscure old pistol back to "work", though. That's what I love about collecting "old stuff."

Rob

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/5/03 7:54:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: First loads of .38 Colt Automatic
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not too good my fandango, that was fantastic for a 90 year old gun.

If I may make a suggestion, find some hard cast bullets of about 115 to 125 grain weight and try them. You'll see they are a bit easier on your old gun.

I'm suppose to be getting a 70 year old .44 S&W one of these days, and plan on shooting mostly cast lead bullets in it with gaschecks. Velocities not to exceed 800 fps and mostly around 650 to 750 will be the norm.

Happy for you getting your gun working. It looks great and so does the target results. Some time please show a pix of the gun broken down in parts.

Gunguy

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/5/03 12:21:32 pm)
    I second what GG said. That is not bad for a 90 year old weapon. I also back up the 115 to 125gr cast lead bullet. I would however, change from the Bullseye and Unique to Winchester 231. I'd start at about 3.8gr and work up slowly. Never had anything but good luck with WW231 in automatic pistols. After slugging the barrel, size to about .001" over and that should do it for ya. Happy shooting and keep 'em in the black.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

1badmagnum
    (1/11/03 3:02:25 am)
    ditto,30 feet is 10 yds,the law enforcement personnal qualify at this distance.your attacker would be hurtin.

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 12:34:16 pm)

There ya go.

I agree, You'd put a hurtin' on the gun that was trying to get you.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 1:56:29 pm)
    You guys is gitting professional - looks jus like a picshure outta' G&A, or some rag!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

seven 62
    (1/27/03 11:11:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .38 Colt Automatic
    I got a little Colt similar to that, and I'm real happy with it! It's in .32 Rimless Smokeless, or .32 acp.
    I can't seem to get my pic up.
    My gun's hammerless.

Shoot well