The Firearms Forum banner

First of the auction wins

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mjp28 
#1 ·
OK - so the RG 38 arrived yesterday, it has been disassembled, cleaned and mostly put back together. As suspected, the problem the pistol has is with the cylinder lock spring which has to be replaced. The cylinder lock spring ball is also missing (which is why the spring bent and didn't work). A new spring is on the way as is the missing ball. Cost - $8 with shipping. Nothing wrong with the pistol otherwise.

A 'new' old pistol has been added to the collection - $36 (+$20 for shipping) for a U.S. Revolver Co. (Iver Johnson) .32 hammerless in very good condition. It will need complete cleaning and good oiling but otherwise is fine. That will arrive this week. Wife says I have to take a break from buying more guns for a while... :eek:

Here's a pic of the RG in it's wait state for the new parts :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
An update - the RG 38 I have now repaired. In addition to the cylinder stop ball and spring I had to replace the safety lever and install a new safety lever spring. Cost an additional $12. Just a few rounds have been test fired so far but the action in both single and double action is working fine. The lock up has a very tiny bit of play at the cylinder and it is caused by side to side play with the cylinder stop. I am debating on whether to change it or not since the pistol is functioning fine. I will add a range report here for the RG 38 and the new old .32 that has arrived. Probably can't spend any range time for a few more days though. Test firing I do in my front yard at a 3 ft high tree stump from 7 -8 ft away. Did get a full box of older .32 S&W though already:)

#3 ·
Thats a great and inexpensive project; got any post "surgery" pics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.