First pistol purchase

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jdinger29, Sep 12, 2011.

1. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I'm a little late to this party it looks like, but let me say WELCOME.

You asked about why people are down on the SD line of pistols. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that the SD line is Smith's latest attempt at fixing their old Sigma series of pistols, which had a reputation for being problematic. Now don't get me wrong... plenty of people have Sigmas and have never had a problem with them. But a lot of others have had them and they never quite worked the way they were supposed to. Our department bought a few Sigmas for undercover work and had some problems with springs breaking.

Have they fixed those problems in the SD line? I honestly have to say I don't know. The SD's are pretty new and I have not had a chance to try one out. I do have a lot of experience with the M&P line and like them better than most polymer guns, though I'm not a fan of polymer in general.

I suggest what the others have said... try to actually shoot different pistols and different chamberings to see what feels better and shoots better for YOU.

A 22 Long Rifle shot through a bad guy's eye and into the brain will stop him much quicker than a 40 shot through the shoulder.
  2. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Go to the range and rent different caliber guns. See what you like and what is comfortable.
    Then make your choice!

Denny G.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I have tried everything from a Makarov (in .380) to a Nagant (7.62x38r) and now own a Springer XD9(mm) Service (4") and love it. I holds 16 in the mag, plus one in the chamber, and I can use anything from 120-something grain FMJs to 147 grain JHP, even the Federal +P+ ammo. (I'll see what happens with a few rounds of that, though ;p)
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

don't worry u won't get flamed on this forum everyone is willing to help, one thing i can say is that u have to feel comfortable with the gun my p22 and marlin 60 just feels right like it was made for me and u just get a gooooood feeling shooting something that feels right
  5. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%!
  6. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Spend some time looking at test results here:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/oldindex.html
    The caliber index is on the left, and it's very easy to navigate. You'll see that the 9mm Rem. Golden Saber performs as well for penetration and expansion as anything else in a larger caliber. These are the two key measures of pistol caliber performance.
    I stand by my Glock 19 in this category of guns, ONLY because it is invariably reliable. There is NOTHING more important. For that reason, if I were looking at S&W, I'd go straight to the M&P. In testing, the gun lasted for 53,000 rounds before the slide cracked. Glock is king in that realm as well, but people like different things....
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

never saw anything like that before Joe, i was looking at the p22 but how do i know which one was shot one and which one was shot 2
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, the SD line IS S&W's attempt to correct their ridiculously faulty Sigma line - they are junk. On top of that they were a Glock ripoff, and the SD line still looks like it's "trying to be a real pistol" - like the Glock.

If someone GAVE me one of these, I'd sell it and buy a Glock (aka, a real gun). I wouldn't buy a S&W auto, I don't think their worth their weight in metal.

And the vaulted M&P9? Please. I'll take a Glock over that thing any day.
  9. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

I purchased a springfield XD 40 a couple of years ago. I also looked at the 40 as a better round than the 9mm but even though the gun fit great I hated the SNAP of the 40. I am not a very small guy 6'2" 230. I could handle the gun fine but the recoil was hard to get use to, most especially when double tapping. So, it has been replaced with a EMP 9mm. I have been told that the 9 is a good LADYS round, but for me, for now it's great. I will say that my next purchase will be a 1911 .45 so Double D, I'll be seeing you soon.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Come on down!
  11. jdinger29

jdinger29 New Member

This has been a good read, thanks! I applied for my "Permit to Purchase" so now I just have to wait to pass my background check... I have a buddy who said I could shoot his .40 to see how it felt. I'll let you know how that goes...
  12. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

For a Home and Range gun you can't beat the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm or .40 very nice shooting guns.