First Pistol

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ShadowHunt, Feb 13, 2007.

1. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

Well I have gone hunting for quite some time, so I'm no stranger to rifles or shotguns, but when it comes to handguns I am at a lost. I have been thinking about purchasing a pistol or revolver for quite some time now and I think the time has about come. I plan on using the gun for self-defense and to take to the range every once in a while. could be for $500 or less! Any thoughts are indeed appreciated!
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. Well, Shadow, there are certainly a great many choices available! I would suggest that the first order of business would be to decide whether you would prefer a pistol or a revolver. Revolvers are simpler and easier to use, but pistols, of course, have certain advantages as well, particularly in terms of ammo capacity and--generally--more compactness. Another question to consider is whether you plan to obtain a carry permit at some time in the future. That too may influence your choice. Handle, and if possible, shoot both until you know which you prefer.

Since you mention you plan to use the weapon, in part, for self-defense, I won't suggest a .22, though I would still highly recommend one if you can possibly see your way clear to purchase two. They're the easiest of all to learn to shoot well, and also offer a very inexpensive way to practice.

There are so many possibilities out there it is difficult to be very specific about makes and models at this point. For the price you mentioned, you could purchase just about anything from a Glock, to a Smith and Wesson, to Sig, to a Ruger, especially if you are willing to consider a used firearm.

If you decide on an auto, and given the parameters you set, I would look very closely at a good 9mm. They are light in recoil, accurate, and the ammo is relatively cheap. A good 9mm is also a more than adequate self-defense weapon with proper ammo.

Should you decide on a revolver, I would seriously consider a .38 special/.357 magnum. The same reasons apply for this as for the 9mm. Ammo for the .38 is relatively inexpensive and plentiful. If you want or need greater hitting power you can simply load .357s.
  3. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

I think that I will be looking into a .357 revolver, I have found a new one for $369......... is this a good price or can i find a less expensive one?
  4. Shadow, what make and model is the one you are looking at? There are a lot of good revolvers out there, but there are also some that qualify only as junk. If it is a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger, I would say "go for it!"
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i'd also put taurus on that list too pistol! we have 2 taurus revolvers & i LOVE them!:p
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

May I suggest a different approach? Whatever you buy, it should feel "right" in your hands. Just like buying shoes, if they don't feel right you won't wear them much. With handguns, if it doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not proficient with it, you're not being fair to yourself. Handle every handgun you can get your hands on, and pursue those that feel "right" to you. Then you can consider caliber. Many manufacturers make similar frames in different calibers. Looking for the "right" one is usually fun. Enjoy it, and let us know what you decide on.

Jay
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Jay is dead on correct. Shadow, find a gun that feels good to you.

Any S&W or Ruger double-action .38/.357 revolver would be perfect for you. Used ones are often well under $500 and sometime just half that price.

My favorite is the S&W Model 66.
  8. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Same as above on Jay and Steve.
  9. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

Yea, I guess Im going to have and take a closer look at some of these guns. Good info guys, really appreciate it!
  10. martbo

martbo New Member

I second Jay's comment about finding the one that feels good to you. But don't go by dry feel alone. Go to the local range and rent them. After putting a few rounds though each of them, you have a much better idea of it suits you. From recent personal experience, I found a S&W .40 caliber that feels wonderful in my hand but when I went to the range with it, the DAO trigger pull is irritating to me.
  11. 2506luvr

2506luvr Guest

I spent Sunday afternoon at the range. Guy there was shooting a 22 rifle, and as people uncased their pistols, he would leave his bench and wander down to the pistol end. He was wanting to buy a handgun, didn't have much experience with them, and was taking advantage of all of us allowing him to try them out so he would get an idea of what he wanted to buy.

He shot wheelguns and automatics....S&W's, Colts, Glocks, Taurus, Bersa, Star, Para, and a Sig. You might try his approach to it.

John
  12. It's a good approach, 2506. Shooters are generally very generous people and very helpful to newbies. Besides, they love showing off their toys. Seems like every time I go out to the range, I end up shooting something I've not seen before, and letting others shoot my toys as well. It's part of the fun in the shooting sports. ;)