first pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by remington1990, Jan 21, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I am think on get me a pistol I have a 22 hawe but it was my grandfather when past away I got it. And I just thinking one get some time but I don't that about pistols I really can't spend a lot on one what would a good brand I looked a hi point and taurus. I kind of want a semi In 25 acp or 380
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'd try to find something in a 9 or 40. Ruger makes a good gun at a decent price. Taurus is ok too. If you can find a surplus SIG P6, that would probably be what I would recommend. If you want something that you'll want to keep for a lifetime, then stay away from Hi Point. They're ok if you gotta stay cheap, but it's not something that you would willing choose over other options out there. I would take a HPt over a Llama or Raven any day though. For the price, they're the best "in expensive" gun out there; they don't have near the amount of problems as other guns in it's class.

For me and just my opinion, a 25acp or 380 isn't any fun to shoot. I can not take a 380 out to the range and plink with it, they're small, harder to hold and for the most part, uncomfortable. But, if you're looking for concealment options, then they have purpose. So, it depends on what purpose you will need it for.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

First of all forget the .25. that is the most useless caliber ever invented.
    Secondly, what do you want the pistol for? After you answer that question, you may get some suggestions. But no matter what you want the pistol for, you don't want a .25.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i second the posting on the uselessness of the 25acp if you absolutly must have a small caliber gun get a 22 auto like the beretta model 21 or the taurus pt22 . or the beretta tomcat 32acp
  5. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

What about a ruger Mark III?
  6. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yeah I agree with the others, you can usually get like a Ruger p95 used for $225 or around that and it is in 9mm.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The Bersa thunder 380 is a good choice. They can be had for around 259.00. I have sold several to happy customers. If its plinking you want then the ruger mark 3 or 22/45 is a great option in a .22. Remember, it wasnt long ago that you couldnt find 380 ammo and when you did it was outrageous. Now it is more available but still pretty pricey.
  8. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have looked at a ruger lcp and a taurus tcp I like the 25 myself because my mother has a colt pocket model in 25 I really like it and I am just wanting to practice with one. I would love a 1911 but that way out of my price range lol also I like the russian 7.62x25
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I would look at 9mm for a few reasons. There is a huge selection of affordable guns in 9MM. Taurus, Bersa, and yes even High Point are very affordable guns and there are also used guns of several makes to look at. I like warranties so I tend to lean toward new guns and like the lifetime warranties offered by many manufacturers. Of the guns that I mentioned by name I would probably go with Bersa. The 9mm is the most prevalent cartridge in the world and as such is much more affordable to purchase. If all that you are going to do is target shooting then the ammo cost will play a large roll in how much you can shoot. 380 ammo is ridiculously expensive. Also, if you are thinking of using the gun as a home defense gun, the 9mm has better ballistics than the 380 (9mm short). No hand gun is magical, but if you are only going to have one and are looking at economics, 9mm is the choice.

Good Luck!
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i agree with DD on the bersa/firestorm .380s, they are actually really good shooters for a cheap mouse gun. Also if you are thinkin of a 9 mil i highly recommend a CZ75. CZ took the browining high power design and made an abrams tank out of it and called it the CZ75, they are very accurate and easy to use/maintain...
  11. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Shopping tip,,,,,,,,,,,,,, go to a well stocked gun store and feel out those guns, just putting one in your hands gives great insight on whats right for you,,,,,,,,,, Ive tried a lot and some just don't feel right and some are just perfect , Rugers don't feel right but Brownings and Colts do, for me anyway...
  12. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

I will third...fourth...thoundsth The thought on the .25 acp. I could only see myself carrying a .25 acp as a backup gun. Even then I would just go with a .380 acp. Since you can get a pistol in about the same size.

Get a 9mm. There are a bunch of affordable options for you and the ammo is the cheapest. If you are worried about recoil you can get a steel framed pistol and that will alleviate much of the felt recoil.

If money is an issue. Your best bet is to find a used or police trade in. You can find great deals on 3rd generation S&W pistols. I've seen some specials where they are selling for $249.

I would also suggest going to a shooting class.
  13. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

How is cobra handgun. A good friend of mind bought a derringer in 22 mag he really Like it has a life time warrenty on it
  14. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

How is cobra handgun a good friend bought a derringer in 22mag. He really like it. It came with a lifetime warrenty. Also how is star handgun. I looked at a ruger for 250 in 9mm
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Remington, purchasing your first handgun opens so many options. I want to agree with the advice you have received from the others here. I also want to discourage you from getting one of those small .25acp semi autos or even the .22 derringer. These are sort of last resort back up guns for some one that is also carrying a legitimate larger handgun. They are not going to be fun to shoot a lot and ammo for most will eat you up. Accurate only at very close range. Lucky mentioned police trades and I second that. JLA suggested the CZ75 another good choice. Gun Guy offered the Ruger P95 another good choice. You asked about the Ruger MK III and I think that would be an excellent first gun choice and one you will enjoy forever. The Ruger for $250 sounds like a possible option as well. Just stay away from those mini guns as a "first gun". Later on maybe but not to start with. Just an old mans advice.