First Reload attempt - Need some Advice

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Winchester 70, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Hey all,

I have been putting together the equipment to reload and I am about to take my first plunge and actually reload some 9mm.

These loads will be for indoor range plinking with my Ruger SR9.

This is what I plan to use for the Reload.

Dardas Cast Bullets 124 gr RNB
    CCI Small Pistol Primers
    Win. once fired cases
    Win. 231 Ball Powder

My question is this..........

How much powder should I use for that combination and for the intended use?

Thanks for the help!
    John
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

You state you have been gathering equipment to begin loading, does that include a reloading manual or two?

If not, you MUST have one.

If you do not know what you are doing, you can danger yourself and others nearby with improperly loaded ammunition. Innocent by-standers have been killed due to poor reloading done by those who never took the time to read a manual.

I think most indoor ranges will not allow you to shoot lead bullets. So you may have a problem already with your bullet choice.

If its not, and since it is a lead bullet, you will want to keep velocities under 1200 fps(some people load under 1000 fps), due to a potential for excessive leading of your barrel. An excessively leaded barrel will lead to higher pressures due to a smaller bore size, which will create a dangerous situation. Just keep an eye on your barrel, keep it clean, everything will be fine.

Anyhow, what load you pick is really determined by what you like. Do you like full power loads for plinking? Or do you like light loads?

You can get the latest recipies for that powder here:
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Here is the load I have from my Lee 2nd Edition book:

Win 231
    124 Grain Lead Bullet
    Start Grains=3.3
    Maximum Never Exceed Grain=4.0
    Minimum OAL=1.095
    Max OAL=1.169
    Velocity= 910 FPS (never exceed load velocity)

In any event, be sure to follow all safety rules and directions so that you and others that may be around you will be safe.

There is a great feeling that you get when you fire off your very first reloads. And once you do, if youre like most of us, you WILL be hooked!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, GET A MANUAL, you will need it.

IF I were loading with what you have listed, i would put 3.5 grains of 231 under those 124s and hit the range.
  4. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Hi John,

Yes, I have a couple of reloading manuals and they were giving me different information so I wanted to check with the experts to verify the info I was gathering.

Thanks for the info!
    John
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

No problem. Anytime.
  6. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

Winchester70, I have maybe 8 different manuals and for whatever reason they will have differences in them but in case you didn't know the 9mm is not a very good first cartridge to start with. I always tell my friends to start with 38 special. I had to find out the hard way years ago that even with carbide dies you still have to lube the cases on 9mm and only the 9mm. be careful and have fun.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I question your statement about having to lube a 9mm case. If you are using a carbide die, why would you have to lube? The purpose of the carbide die is so that no lube is necessary, is it not? I have been loading 9mm for probably 30 years using a Lee Carbide die and have never, I repeat, NEVER put a drop of any kind of lubricant on the cases. Maybe I have been doing it wrong for all of these years, but I have not had any kind of binding problem.
  8. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

sometimes it depends on the guns you are shooting, like an old p38 or an old luger, when the chambers are loose or the rounds are hot when it gets hard to size them, I don't know I have messed up a set of RCBS carbide dies to where when I used them they would put a bad scratch down the side of the case. do what you want,it doesn't take but a min to spray a little lube on.
  9. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

While the use of lube is probably not necessary on 9mm it makes the job a lot easier and is easier on your press and dies. I use Hornady One Shot spray cans for my 9mm and Dillon 650.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 9mm and it was the first cartridges that I reloaded on my then new progressive press. Except for the constant LEE progressive press problems I had no problems with reloading 9mm. After 25 years of regular reloading I see no reason to start with 38 Spl then move to 9mm. There is no difference.... you do the same processes on either one (size/de-prime, seat new primer, flare, add powder, add bulet, seat bullet and crimp). The only real difference is the crimp and 38 Spl is a roll crimp and 9mm uses a taper crimp which is really nothing more than a very light roll crimp. The process is the same for either crimp.

I reload for over 30 different cartridges with many being pistol cartridges with straight walled cases. I have carbide dies for those and NEVER EVER use any lube. It is not necessary and I have never seen it recommended in any reloading manual and I have a bunch of manuals, some going back to the 1980's.

The trick to successful reloading is to read the manuals, then re-read them until you thoroughly understand the processes. The Hornady web page for reloading has an article with pictures that explains the processes and why you do each. It also explains how a cartridge works in a gun. Good stuff to know.

LDBennett
  11. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions. I have been reading and watching reloading videos since 2009. I have tried to get a feel for what I need to do. I do not want to make a mistake and injure myself, or anyone else for that matter, so I have been reading and rereading everything I can get my hands on. I think I will order some jacketed bullets for my first attempt and sell off the cast bullets, or wait until I have some real life experience under my belt before using them.

This forum is a great resource!

Thanks for the help!
    John
  12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You made a good choice with Matt Dardas' lead bullets. That is the only lead that I will reload with.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Hang on to'em ! You'll use them before the end of the year. Work your load up from the mins and you'll find your sweet spot for your gun. Best of Luck to ya!