First Reloading Mistake

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JTofGPD, Jan 16, 2011.

1. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I picked up a box of Magnum Pistol Primers and a Box of Magnum Rifle Primers as I ran out and had a couple dozen rounds to load up. . I was going to load up rifle first and so I set aside my pistol dies, pistol powder, and 'pistol' primers. I reach for my components and count out the number of bullets, cases, and primers that I was going to load. I put the boxes back and start reloading.

After loading up my 30-06 loads last night, I go to load up my pistol and get those components out tonight. As I reach for the 'pistol' primers, I see they are in fact the Rifle Primers.

See my problem?

I loaded up my 30-06 load for my savage bolt action (58gr Varget under a 110 gr. Hornady SP) with Magnum Large Pistol Primers (CCI 350) instead of Magnum Large Rifle Primers (CCI 250).

Looks like bullet pulling time for me...

...Unless they are shoot-able, but doesn't this run the risk of pierced primers, not enough spark to ignite powder efficiently, gas coming back into action etc?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, that is exactly the risk you run. Tear 'em down and try again.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

best to err on the safe side, tear em down and reload them again. one reason to only select the components you immediately need and to triple check the labels. a careless reloader would not have noticed til something went wrong at the range, you noticed, therefore pay attention to detail IMO, good catch.
  4. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

at least the powder is salvageable...
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Can those unspent primers be safely removed and reused ?
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Many people will say no, but I've done it since I started reloading, some thirty-odd years ago. Long as I know what primer is in there.

If I'm not sure, I chamber the primed brass and pop the primers. People will tell you "put some oil in the case and that will kill the primer". Old wives' tale. It's been disproved, but folks keep saying it. 'Sides, even if it worked, you then have oil contaminating your case, and you have to clean it to keep from killing your powder.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with alpo, I prime and deprime on the press, now is a great time to have a universal decapper die, just catch the primers in a clean bowl and reuse them. They will come out of the case rather easily compared to after you have fired them. I have never had one go off and I have seated some sideways and completely crushed them, then poked em back out and into the trashcan. Seated some upsidedown once too, the decapper pin has to push right where the firing pin hits, this made me nervous, but again they didnt pop, and i reused them in some plinkin loads, worked great, but all the loaded rounds looked fired because of the dent from the decapper... just be careful and keep your face away...
  8. mikld

mikld Member

I've knocked out live primers w/o any problems, on a couple occations (50 LRM as I recall). Just go gently and push them out.

FWIW, when I reload I get the components out on my bench otherwise it all stays in the cabinet. Then I have a look at what I have there; right primers? Right bullets? Correct powder? Then I load 'em up. When done I check again, then return the stuff to the cabinet. Only the items I'll be using gets outside the cabinet.
  9. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I've popped out numerous live primers.... Works with Rifle primers in Rifle cases, damages the pistol primers in rifle cases, may also just be the de-capping pin is set too low. I've got 30 rounds to pull, so might as well see. :eek:
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

slow and easy
  11. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Make sure you wear safety glasses, just in case some one is wrong on this project. I have done this more than s few times over the years. I don't recall a blow out. I have noticed the primers may not seat as tight the seconed time around. You may have a few which are damaged and will not fire. The little cheapo Lee Decapper is a good investment.

RC
  12. dmh

dmh New Member

i've removed live primers and re-used them with success as well. as said the only thing is dont slam your press on it of course, slowly engage and pop out. sometimes it can muscle memory to just plow through decapping brass. sounds like you're good now tho
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had one go off one time. It was in sidways and pretty crunched up. I pushed it out from the inside with a small screwdriver. Didnt hit it hard or fast, just a gentle push and kabloowe. Only time that has ever happened. I was wearing my glasses thank goodness.
  14. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

removed 30 live pistol primers from the rifle cases. had 5 that came out dented or otherwise damaged. oiled them and tossed em out. the 25 other primers look good and will be loaded up in my next batch of plinker 44 mag loads (180 LRN over 7 gr Trailboss).
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

not a bad slavage rate, nice work
  16. Texxut

Texxut Member

JTofGPD,
    This is how I preclude what you did.
    First; clear my bench of all primers, powder, brass, bullets.
    Second; gather the components called for in the load
    The powder can, sits behind the powder drop until I'm done loading and the leftover powder is returned to the can.
    The primer boxes stay on the back of the bench, till done. etc.
    You get the picture. Works for me.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

same procedure here, except i have 20K primers so i only grab as many as I need to put on the desk and only toss the empty packages in the trash when im done so i have a constant reminder of what im using while im using it...
  18. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

I keep my powder and bullets in a ammo can and my primers separate in my component box (manuals, scale, etc.) My reloading table is the same as my garage workbench used for motorcycle and car parts and odd jobs, so its always picked up and stored when I am done reloading. Everything has a place and is in order, labeled, or marked somehow.

My normal reloading routine is as follows:

--set trimmed and sized cases on empty bench,
    --get primers out of component box on floor, count out # needed, place in cup
    --get bullets out and count out # needed, place in other cup/box
    --prime cases
    --charge cases
    --seat bullets, inspect each round
    --Put all components away and start over if I am loading another round/caliber.

Seemed fool proof :D

Just not idiot proof...:p
  19. Texxut

Texxut Member

The good part is, as JLA said,you caught it, and that's what counts.:D

I always listen to "the little voice". Once it said to me "that didn't sound right, don't touch that trigger!" And sure enough, I had just dropped the hammer on the only cartridge I have ever loaded without powder and I had a 9mm bullet about 1/3 the way down my barrel. oops. We've all had 'em.:(
  20. Martin S

Martin S New Member

JT,
    That was a small mistake compared to mine. I had a 22BR rifle made from a Rem. 700. The first shot blew it up!! I had over $1700 invested in the rifle. Here's the problem. I was thinking about trying two different powders in it. I did the same thing you did ecept the switch was with the powder. The powder I used was way over max. I had to beat the bolt open. The case separated at the head leaving the head welded to the bolt face. It ruined the bolt and I'm not sure it didn't stretch the action. I went to a gun show and bought another barreled action and had the 22BR barrrel installed. Another $400 added to the rifle. That tought me a lesson. Go over your load. See what components you have laid out before you load. OLD AGE!!!:eek:

Martin