First Saturday in May

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Airdale, May 5, 2012.

1. Airdale

Airdale Member

For racing fans that can mean only one thing...Derby Day:dance:
    Even us old degenerate rail birds get pumped for the run for the Roses.
    Today's race is the 138th running.

This years field is one of the deepest I've seen. The two favorites are awesome looking animals. Bodemeister will be trying to do something that hasn't been done in 128 years. Win the Derby after being unraced as a two year old. Union Rags is simply a picture of perfection on the track. All that being said I won't have any money on them. For a handicapper this race is impossible to handicap.
    I have a couple of picks that will be worth taking a gamble on. That's what it will be...a gamble pure and simple.

My picks,
    Daddy Nose best whose pressing running style should fit this race and Garret Gomez (one of the best) is in the irons.

Daddy long legs, winner of the UAE Derby will be ignored by the public because he's stuck on the inside in post #1. Trainer Aidan O'Brien would not have brought this horse to Kentucky if he didn't think he had a good chance.

If the crowd ignores Gemologist and gives me a price I'll throw him in, after all he's won all five races he's run.

That's pretty much it for the Derby, a great race to watch, but a race that any of, at least, ten horses could win. so not a good betting race.

For a race to invest in I'll be playing the 8th race at Tampa Bay where Halo Doctor Joe has every chance to deliver a great price.

Let's hope for fast and firm conditions in Louisville and pray for safe trips for horses and riders. Enjoy the pagentry that is the Kentucky Derby. After the race is run only one colt will have a chance to be a Triple Crown winner.
  2. geds

geds New Member

Down here the 1st Sat in May means NASCAR at the Talledega Motor Speedway - so you have to plan any traveling between Bham and Atlanta so that you pass the track during the race and far enough ahead of the finish of the race so you're not overtaken by drunk Bubbas who THINK they are on the NASCAR circuit when they are on I-20!
  3. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

around here its sprint cars and hobby stocks. Mother nature willing.
    I don't think she's a race fan.