First shot (pun intended) at B/P shooting.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by w1spurgeon, Aug 18, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I have several old 12ga shotguns, including an 1889 Remington with steel barrels that I occasionally shoot with light pressure loads. I'm thinking about adding a muzzle loader to the collection. I have the choice of 12 ga or 10 ga. Both have damascus barrels so I figure I'll pour a very (VERY) light load down the barrel, add the cap and go BOOM. I don't hunt so the pleasure of firing it (and impressing the guys at the gun club) is the end result. The gun will spend 99% of it's time in my display cabinet, so appearance is very important to me. Question is: everything else being equal, should I go with 12 ga or 10 ga?
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not a lot of difference. The 10 takes heavier loads and will kick a little more. Most folks are very against shooting damascus barrels but most don't have a clue what they're talking about, just repeating internet myths. As long as a gunsmith competent in original muzzle loaders okays it I say shoot the crap out of it.