1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

First shot (pun intended) at B/P shooting.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by w1spurgeon, Aug 18, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I have several old 12ga shotguns, including an 1889 Remington with steel barrels that I occasionally shoot with light pressure loads. I'm thinking about adding a muzzle loader to the collection. I have the choice of 12 ga or 10 ga. Both have damascus barrels so I figure I'll pour a very (VERY) light load down the barrel, add the cap and go BOOM. I don't hunt so the pleasure of firing it (and impressing the guys at the gun club) is the end result. The gun will spend 99% of it's time in my display cabinet, so appearance is very important to me. Question is: everything else being equal, should I go with 12 ga or 10 ga?
  2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Not a lot of difference. The 10 takes heavier loads and will kick a little more. Most folks are very against shooting damascus barrels but most don't have a clue what they're talking about, just repeating internet myths. As long as a gunsmith competent in original muzzle loaders okays it I say shoot the crap out of it.