First Time Re-loader advise

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Lockn'Load, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Lockn'Load

Lockn'Load New Member

Gentleman,
    I have a bench AR-15 that I would like to start hand loading to improve accuracy
    Bushmaster varmint 1-9 twist upper that is chamber for the .556/.223 i think they called it the wyde chamber
    I have some reloading equipment that was my grandfathers and I need help on deciding what I need to upgrade too and what i can re-use
    Sadly I never met my grandfather he died in the 70s after a massive heart:( attack during a hunting trip so i really sadly im only going on the equipment i can find,
    my uncle knew only how to work our shoot gun press and my grandfather was the only one who did the rifle and pistol press reloading
    I found some old books on reloading along with instruction so i could probable figure the loader out
    this is what i have
    Books as mentioned about
    Comet reloader it apears that it is only a single stage one
    CCI No.200 large gun primers i have about 500 left un-used
    Dupont Powder 4350
    Dupont Powder 4198
    Hercules 2400 smokeless Powder
    I have it apears to be a manual scale non digital by Reed i believe the name is
    I have a separt Powder despenser inspection of the books it appears that is is made by Lyman possible No.55 could be wrong
    What i need
    .223 reloading dies
    i have old lube i may need more
    peanut tumbler?
    I am probably also going to need some reloading tools like bullet brush, and the tool to messure the casing

Like i said i dont know what i need to upgrade maybe you guys could help me out

Also if you could point me or give me advise on what bullets and loads i should use with my AR-15 i really be thankful
    Its going to be long range shooting 500 yards possible more

Thanks
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Its kinda hard not looking at the equipment to give any suggestions. I think it may be a good start to get a reloading dvd so you can see the process and make any notes of equipment you may need. When i started i bought a couple of reloading books and an rcbs reloading dvd. the dvd was like ten bucks and well worth it to me.
  3. Lockn'Load

Lockn'Load New Member

Point taken
    I know the equipment is old 60s possible even 50s it looks extremely well built but like i said the man that used it is no longer around
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would say certainly older than 1980 based on the powders you listed. Dupont Corp doesnt label any powder these days and Herculese became alliant sometime during the 1980s. I would use the old powder to kill fireants and buy new, along with new manuals. Unless you store the old powder and manuals until you gain a greater understanding of the hobby. Old manuals offer data a tad on the hot side by todays standards. point is, if you decide to load old powder, do it with a old manual as a guide.

As for the equipment, take pics and post them for freebore to have a look at. Hes an artist with old junk and would probably be able to ID everything you have.

BTW, the Lyman 55 is THE best powder measure ever built IMO. Mine is probably 30+ years ols and drops powder charges within .1 grains of the intended setting every time. love it;)