First Time Trap Shoot

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Jmg198, Oct 3, 2008.

?

How well did you do in your first round of trap shooting?

1. 0-5 hits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 6-10 hits

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. 11-15 hits

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 16-25 hits

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

First off I am impressed with you honesty. Most people would automatically say yeah man i was the best out there I banged 22 of the first 25 birds I shot.

Back in the late 70's I shot trap 3 times a week, I started with a Remington 870 Wingmaster TB grade 34 inch barrel monte carlo stock. I moved onto a Browning BT 99 single barrel 34 inch then onto a Pirazzi over and under. I still have all of the guns.

You seem like you are really into the sport, If you are going to continue shooting trap get yourself a Trap gun. Your poor shoulder will thank you for it. A sporting gun is designed to shoot maybe 10 to 15 rounds in a day not 25 rounds in15 to 20 minutes.

From what you mentioned speed was your amazement. i think you are trying to shoot as fast as those guys. Slow that shot and don't look at the trap house. Kind of focus in a broad area just beyond the trap house. You will automatically see that bird come out and have a smooth natural swing toward it. Remember you are shooting a shot gun, By the time you catch that bird it already has 16 yards on you. When you shoot that bird is 22 to 26 yards away. Your pattern is maybe 18 inches wide or more at that point. Don't try to aim directly at the bird. Point at it and you will see your score climb fast. Good Luck, JUNK
  2. questor

questor Member

My trap gun is the same gun I use for my hunting gun. Yep, the 870. Shoot two or three rounds when I hit the range. Don't have the monies for a trap gun, therefore my 870 fits the bill.

The local club has a pro and for $75 (one hour of one on one instruction) he pointed out my problems (mostly lifting my head prior to the shot) and started hitting 23-25. Well worth the monies.

as for "aaaaaaaaa" or "pull" or "brrrrrrrrrr" any sound is okay, as long as the bird flies.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009