first try at anything close to IPSC/USPSA IDPA

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by STAYFROSTY, Apr 30, 2012.

1. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

I copied part of this from another thread I started from my gun repair. Just expanded on it here.

I do have to say this, the IPSC/USPSA style shooting is harder then it looks. This wasn't a sanctioned match or anything, just me and a buddies interpretation of what we have seen on the you tube matches. We tried several variations on starting positions and stances. It was a blast. My shooting skills in a situation like this definately need work. We mainly just did double tap chest, once in the head. Also tried the IDPA version with examining threat levels and having to eliminate two "close.threats" by tapping them twice but one shot for left then right back to left then right again.

I bought several IPSC targets from my local shop and bought 1" x10' peices of pvc for $1.43 per 10 foot stick and cut them in half at angles so I could drive them in the ground. Drove one piece in a.d then poked holes in all four corners of targets and zip tied one side then drove second pole in at correct distance. It was pretty cool.

My buddy had a glock 22 I was shooting my SR9. He wasnt as into the defense/tactical side of.it but still had fun. I tried to make it more interesting and do.mag changes and holler out things like " drop the weapon". Haha. I liked it. We were timing it with just regular stop watches. Another guy was telling me his first time in a real comp he was so nervous he dropped the mag trying to reload, dropped a mag prematurely, was shaking because all of the adrenaline and had a hard time with it at a competetive level. I hope I would do better!
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

IPSC is a great competition, trying to grow it here
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sounds like you guys are about ready to rock and roll in a real match. :D
    Find out when/where the next safety class is, and get signed up.
  4. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

My local gun club has a range that is usually only open to members and their guests. They have started holding these competitions on Saturdays throughout the month. One Saturday is the steel challenge, one a USPSA match( I believe they are sanctioned) one is a plinking match. I forget what the 4th one is. I've always wanted to go out there, a friend of mine has a membership and I've been on him to take me with him but he hasn't been since we've talked about it. Even though I don't have a membership, on the days of the matches a non member can sign up for a slightly higher entry fee. Sounds really fun and would love to give it a real shot. I am shooting a new pistol and am not "in tune" with it yet. Still learning it! I haven't seen a whole lot of these in competition, but I still like it! Ruger SR9 OD green
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I started shooting IPSC/USPSA about a year ago. It takes shooting to a new level for sure.
    Just at our last event we had over 120 competitors. I am a member at the AREA 7 hosting club.

Certainly gets your blood pumping and heart racing. Hope you can find a club that puts on official events/matches.
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I started shooting Speed Steel and USPSA in February (after deer season) and although I am not that good, I still have a great time! Plus, it gives me more reasons to reload my own bullets and cast my own boolets too!