First year bowhunting!!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 270 Deer Slayer, Oct 6, 2004.

1. 270 Deer Slayer

270 Deer Slayer New Member

Went out on tuesday. Got in my stand around 4:30. I was hunting a small woodlot between a field and a bedding. Everynight there are deer in the field, so I fihured they come out of the beddding through the small woodlot. Around 6:15 I saw two deer coming. It was two does, one was probably the biggest I have ever seen. They made there way into a small creek bed in front of me around 25 yrds. I drew back and shot right over the deer's back. I thought bowhunting was going to be easy, but it is a whole differint game than rifle hunting. I was shaking so bad I thought I was going to fall out of my stand. Went back out tonight, did not see anything but a skunk and a racoon. I am definetly hooked on bowhunting! Everynight, I have been seeing huge bucks while spotting. I think this point restriction is really working out in PA.
  2. NOTPOSTAL

NOTPOSTAL New Member

Range estimation is the key with bowhunting. I hunted for about 5 years before I ever connected with a deer. I've been bowhunting for 10 yrs now and still get excited when I see deer, when I dont get excited it'll be time to quit.
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

You might want to try a rangefinder so you know how far away certain points are. Also, DON'T FORGET that you are shooting down and that deer will usuallu duck when they hear the string noise. Hold low for both reasons.
  4. coonass

coonass New Member

Yes Bowhunting is great... I'm just getting back from a 5 day hunt in Tx.
    Like said ,,,,, knowing the range (distance) is VERY important ..... Range finder is good for walking and stalking ...... But I prefer to hang flagging in all four directions (N. S. E. W. ) from my stands 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 yards when a deer walks out just find the nearest flag and guess or go from there.... You can also use different color flagging to match your pins (colors) or just different colors in general 10 green , 20 blue , etc .........

I was blessed to kill a doe , four pt. and a 8 point in full velvet ....

Tomorrow is blackpowder opening ........... but it's raining but I'll still be there

GOOD LUCK,,,,,,,,, and stay safe .......... use your safety belt
  5. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

welcome to the club.

bowhunting is by far the most challanging and exciting. Except maybe those guys way down south that hunt hogs with spears. That's just plain nuts!