Fish and chips for dinner!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, May 28, 2009.

1. OK, wish me luck fellas, the wife and I have decided to make homemade fish & chips for dinner tonight. We have the cod, we have all the ingredients for the breading, the taters, the beer, and the malt vinegar. If I come online tomorrow singing "God Save the Queen" you'll know it turned out OK and we survived. On the other hand, if the band plays "The World Turned Upside Down," send flowers. :D;)
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

ALLRIGHT! Sea Kitty dinner. GOOD LUCK PISTOL!:D
  3. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Good Luck Pistol! I was stationed in Scotland & that's what they eat in the way of "fast food". Wrapped in the day's newspaper.... I miss it alot! Enjoy!!

SR :)
  4. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

oh boy good luck pistol hope it doesn't turn out like my taco bell experience!
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Mmmmmm...envy......
  6. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Lucky you I just ordered Chinese...Want to trade?
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

If it weren't so late, I'd take out catfish for fish`n`chips.:D

Malt vinegar is a plus!
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

MMMMMmmmmmm.....one of my favorites.
    Can't find many places, around here, that serves a decent plate.
    Used to drive all the way to Platteville just to get them.
    Then they got chincy on the fish. :(

If you come online tomorrow singing....ANYTHING....I am going to start worrying.
  9. walien

walien Former Guest

Check out the Alton Brown version on good eats. He has killer recipes for both.
  10. 38 special

38 special New Member

I caught some bluegills,crappies and rockbass last weekend. I cleaned them and filleted them but the wife fried them up. They were delicious. I caught some trout out in Colorado years ago and they were real good too. Good luck on your fish fry. I like salt water fish too but dont get much of it here.
  11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Here's a guide, my dinner....

Attached Files:

12. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I just gained 5 pounds looking at that......but I must say it looks delicious!
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

My prediction is that you will wind up with a bad case of "Violent Diarrhea"... :eek::eek::D;)

mike
    gn
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Looks like Long John Silver to me? :)

mike
    gn
  15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

grilled pork loins, fried squash, fried green tomatoes, roasted new potatoes, fresh home made apple pie and a garden fresh salad later my snack was fresh off the tree plums and some store bought cherries.
  16. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Headed to Rene's in Black Rock in a couple of hours. Great catfish, fries, good slaw and spicy white or pinto beans. As good as I can get in S. La. Checked the creek this AM and it's low enough to take the Caravan. Need to run it. almost 5 weeks since I've been able to use it because of all the rain. Might be dry enough to bushog the front pasture this afternoon. I never cared much for cod. Ate too much in New England when I was a kid. Hope you enjoyed. If not go back to catfish.
  17. 45nut

45nut Active Member

So, how was it???

Alton Brown's Recipe below:

Ingredients
    For the fries:

* 1 gallon safflower oil
    * 4 large Russet potatoes
    * Kosher salt

For the batter:

* 2 cups flour
    * 1 tablespoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * Dash Old Bay Seasoning
    * 1 bottle brown beer, cold
    * 1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed whitefish (tilapia, pollock, cod), cut into 1-ounce strips
    * Cornstarch, for dredging

Directions

Heat oven to 200 degrees F.

Heat the safflower oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until it reaches 320 degrees.

Using a V-slicer with a wide blade, slice the potatoes with the skin on. Place in a large bowl with cold water.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time.

Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water. When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil. Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy. Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.

Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees. Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on roasting rack. Season with kosher salt while hot and hold in the oven.

Allow oil to return to 350 degrees. Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack. Serve with malt vinegar.
  18. "God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen."

:D;)

Well, it turned out pretty good. The recipe I used for the batter could do with a little more tweaking, but overall, it was not bad. Not nearly as good as the fish and chips I had in London, mind you, but definitely worth trying again. :D
  19. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Yep it sure does.

The Whippet drive in in Prattsville Ar. has some of the best catfish I know of. People drive from many miles away for it. It is named after the mascot of the Prattsville school. There is not a school there anymore. I was in the last graduating class back in 1994, we had 11 seniors.
  20. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

If you would like Pistol, I will gladly purchase some on Monday when in London and send them in the post. They may just need re heating a little. :)