Fix Chamber on .22RF Dinged by Firing Pin

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rhmc24, Apr 19, 2011.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

This issue comes up now and then, with various suggestions offered. A simple fix I have never seen mentioned is this. A #1 drill, is .228", the same as many22 chamber IDs. On a #1 drill, grind a flat half an inch long or more, maybe .040" deep, along the side of the drive end of the drill. Smooth the transition edges from flat to round and polish them. Lube the chamber and your tool, insert it 3/8" or more and turn it to lift or iron out the ding in the chamber.

Sounds 'quick and dirty' but it works. There are dirtier methods that can work too.

The same 'flat to round' method is workable making a tool to raise a dent in a shotgun barrel.
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I've found drills not the best tool for "dinged " chambers , where there is metal one side a drill will try to self centre between that and whats opposite and that means a distorted chamber ,

dings are best removed with a file , and while the result may not be perfect only one side is off and you can get it just about perfect by eye with practice and a hard sharp file , if you can mount it in a lathe and do it that way , more's the better really ..

when doing new chambers yeah a number 1 wire size drill is what i use , but thats when everything is equal to begin with
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Irons pus some of the displaced metal back into the ding. The rimfire needs to have the rim crushed to reliably fire. Filing the metal away leaves a hole behind the area where the firing pin hits, and the rim can't be reliably crushed. It may, or may not work either way-but pushing as much metal back into the ding is the best way. Irons won't deform a chamber. They are only pushing a very small area back in place.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Jack, if you re-read the OP's post he's using the shank of a #1 drill bit with a flat polished on one side. He's not drilling with the bit, just using the shank as a mandrel (or chamber iron).

I've never done this with a .22lr chamber but I know it can be done. IIRC, this homemade tool idea is in one of the Brownell's Kinks books too.
    I have made several of basically the same tool for raising dented shotgun muzzles. Works good on shotgun barrels, should work to iron out a rimfire pin dent too.