Fix for failure to feed in Ruger Mark II&III Pistols

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Doug Bowser, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser New Member

Our club has 4 Ruger Mark III 5.5" target pistols. They are available for Junior and Adult club members to use at club functions.

Out of the 4 pistols 3 of them had numerous failures to feed. The problem would be that the empty ctg case would drop off the extractor and the new ctg in the magazine would try to load under the empty case. I loaded the magazine and the chamber and slowly cycled the bolt to the rear. I noticed the rim of the ctg case coming from the chamber lightly touched the top of the magazine on all 3 pistols. Sometimes the ctg case came off the extractor due to this contact (before the ctg hit the extractor).

The fix is to use a Dremel tool to remove the folded portion of the rear lips of the magazine. The part removed is only about 1/32nd of an inch. Just level off the metal. I also slightly round off the forward part of the rear magazine lips. Since the modifications have been done on the magazines all 3 of the errant pistols are functioning perfectly. I have also modified pistol magazines for at least 10 member's pistols. There is a great deal of improvement in the functioning of their pistols. I hope this helps someone.

Doug Bowser
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. starman

starman New Member

Doug, very interesting, and I may have the same problem with my M3
    Please expond on the area your removing with the dremel.
    1. Explain the folded portion of the rear lips of the magazine.
    2. Also the slight rounding off of the the forward part of the rear mag lips
    Are talking about the very top inward rolled edge on either side of the plastic foot you compress downward as your loading the mag?
    I possible post a picture of the modified mag. If you can't post a picture then email it to me in a private msg. I'm very interested in you fix but would like a little more info and or best a picture

Thanks