Fixed sights or adjustable

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Shellback, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Shellback

Shellback New Member

What do you guys think about adjustable sights on a auto loader? I just bought adjustable sights for my Sig Sauer P229 and am contiplating weather to put them on or not.
    Thanks
    Tim
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I prefer adjustable sights on all my guns.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I hate to disagree with Marlin, but I prefer fixed. Wish I could tell you why... I just do.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

3 out of 5 of my guns have adjustable sights, but I usually never adjust 'em. On one of the three I have a scope.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

unless the gun is intended for hunting or target shooting, they should always be fitted with fixed sights, especially where carry guns are concerned.
  6. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I use it primarily for target and home protection, seems they'd get in the way for a carry weapon.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

I like adjustable. I reload and I'll jump between softball and hot loads and I like to have my gun shoot to point of aim. I carry 1911's and they both have adjustable sights, one with a fiber optic front sight and Bo-mar rear. The other is Bo-mar rear with tritium inserts front and rear.

Art
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If the gun doesn't shoot to point of aim with any ammo you happen to be using then not having adjustable sights makes the gun useless to me. You might as well just point it and not aim because you have just about as much of a chance of hitting something.

Any gun that is used or intended to be used at ranges farther than 7 yds needs adjustable sights. Load levels vary from ammo to ammo and required point of aim can vary from range to range. Most good guns have solid rugged adjustable sights or the fixed sights can be replaced with such good durable sights.

For carry you probably don't need adjustable sights but if you are shooting a bad guy at ranges beyond 7 yds then you might end up in jail as ranges much farther might not be judged by a jury to be a high enough threat to use lethal force whether it was or not. Beside when forced to defend yourself you may not even remember to use the sights....you'll just pull the trigger in fear.

That's my opinion and your's may differ.

LDBennett
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My 2c.

Fixed for defence, adjustable for the range or hunting.

If I had a defensive handgun that wont shoot point of aim at 20 yds, I would trade it for one that will.
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

LD, you're right on target, pun intended, Every situation is different. I still rather my adjs.

Art
  11. Shellback

Shellback New Member

LD well said, sig is a straight shooter and I love the weapon I shoot alittle differantly so the adjustables went on this morning this evening I will dial them into my eye. The fixed sights where great and very reliable just seemed to cover to much of the target area for me. I'm sure it's the way I shoot, but I am a decent shot and repitition is the key for me.. LD I have been reading a lot of your posts and the rest of you as well. Very good info round here. Thanks
    Tim
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

my carry piece wears straight 8s, they are fixed white dot sights and with a 6 o' clock hold i can hit spent shotgun hulls at 30 ft.
  13. Shellback

Shellback New Member

JLA what is straight 8's??
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

"In English, Data."

Seriously, not everyone here understands what you just stated.
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Carry. Fixed.
    Range/Fun. Adjustable.