1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Fixed sights?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ARB, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I was doing a once over on my Combat Commander when I noticed that in front of the rear sight there is a tiny line smack dab in the middle. There is also one on the sight itself. The sight is a tad to the left of the center line. Is this the factory sight in?
    This, shows my power of observation. I've had this pistol for almost a decade.:rolleyes:
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The lines are a reference point showing sight alignment. Some have to be drifted right or left as needed depending upon the pistol and the shooter.

Does your Commander shoot right or left of center ??
  3. ARB

ARB New Member

The last time I shot it ( a while ago), it was dead on. I mean, this thing was D-E-A-D on. It hasn't been dropped or roughed up in any way. Which brings up the question as to how easy are they to move? I thought they were fixed sights, that's why it suprised me. I will be taking it out to the range friday to see if this "move" has happened since the last time I shot. But, I just couldn't see how.
  4. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I thought the rear fixed sight was just dove tailed in and could be moved with a punch for sighting in.
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I feel for ya, ARB. :D

My P229 Sig came from the factory like that....:(.... but in my case, it shot way off right of center. (like 6in.+ @ 25yds. :eek:) When I put a bore-sighting laser in the bbl., sure enough..... it was off.

The problem w/ fixed sights is; I need a special sight press to move it (a cheap Sig press costs $120!) or must take the slide to a gunsmith.

Be thankful that your C/C doesn't have a problem & is dead-nuts on target. ;)

SR
  6. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

The sights were off bad on my para hawg9 when I got it, it was 8" in 10 yards(3" barrel) I took it to the local smith and moved the sights almost an 1/8" and now it is dead on, took 5 minutes and he did it for free.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

All sight fitted to a dovetail can be moved left and right with a simple drift punch and a hammer or a sight pusher. most rifles and some pistols can be done with a punch and hammer, some pistols I.E. glocks, springfield XDs and even some 1911s must be moved with a sight pusher because of the extremely tight fit...
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Those marks are just factory centerline markings...denoting the center of the slide and the center of the sight. Due to tolerance variations in frames. slides, barrels, etc..., they do not necessarily have to line up for the sights to be regulated to point of impact.
    Just like bore-sighting a freshly mounted scope, the markings are just used for initial assembly to get things "in the ballpark" and final POI is set afterwards.