Fixed the pond sump pump - sort of...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geds, Jun 24, 2012.

1. geds

geds New Member

Well it has been an interesting weekend dealing with failing pumps, rebuilding a stack stone wall that the water fall cascades over, and highboy's shenanigans!

Got the wall finished and only need rain to hold off for a couple more hours for the silicone to completely set. The wall looks good and for some reason I had rock left over from the rock that fell off the wall? Sounds like my car mechanicing stories - but that's for another time....

The sump pump in the lower pond is supposed to recirculate through the stone as a biological filter through one hose and pump up 28' feet to the uppermost pond to start the "pretty" waterfall cycle. This pump fails every two years so I learned to buy an extended warranty so that I get three pumps for the price of one. It is a big ordeal to change it out as the electrical lines run under the rock, through conduit, and out to an electrical box where I hard wire it. Well, guess what? The pump motor burned out so I spent the morning rewiring just to make sure and then pulling it out.

The second pump that controls the waterfalls just outside the front door stopped working. So, I crawled around and leaned into the pond in a rather awkward position to work on it (thank goodness Highboy is in Idaho!) and found that the hose coupling from the pump outlet failed. No problem, I just reached in the muddy water to unthread it and noticed the water was changing color from brown to red....Did you know that failed brass couplings sometimes have very sharp edges? Oh well, since the water was all mucky anyway, I figure what the hey, an open wound here - what could go wrong?

Well, after securing the necessary parts to fix the hose today, I resumed the position to tighten down the clamp securing it. So far, so good! I turned on the pump and noticed water was barely moving....back into the awkward position to fiddle with the fitting. There was a slight leak around the fitting, so back and forth to the garage to try different wrenches to get more torque. Finally, the leak was almost stopped, it was under water, so heck, let it go. But, why was there still hardly any water moving? I shut the valve at the pump and unscrewed the hose coupling I had just tightened down. Upon closer inspection of the running pump with the valve shut, I discovered that pressure builds up enough to break free debris clogging the line! I was quick enough to close my eyes and duck to avoid the 3/4 in. straight stream of mucky pond water arching onto the top of my head and down my back! Thank goodness I was wearing my white Columbia fishing shirt and khaki shorts as I had just gotten home from Home Depot with the parts.....Now that the line was clear, I was able to put it all back together and everything (for that portion of the pond system) is working fine.

Tomorrow I get to replace the big pump. But I'm not worried. It is supposed to be 100 degrees tomorrow and the pump has no shade!

At least there was no purple nail polish involved......:D
  2. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

:)We need that on video geds.:)
  3. geds

geds New Member

Thank goodness everyone was inside and missed the show! My wife said you sure have been sweating! when I came in.....Then she saw the back of the shirt and the trail of pond muck following me!
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Sounds like a fun job.Sit down put your feet up and have some thin mint and keep your shoes on so know one can paint those toe nails.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Many of the reasons that I no longer have a water feature... here's a shot of one that I had back in Kansas that was my favorite one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. geds

geds New Member

Nice mogunner!
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What? Oh this is war!!!:D
  8. geds

geds New Member

Wondered what took you so long.....
  9. 76Highboy

I've been watching Jack and JLA do some,,, well call it cage fighting and they both have a great left jab. :D Anyway brother, why would you be glad that I am in Idaho? I would have helped you fix the sump pump. I own a crecent wrench and a big hammer.
  10. geds

geds New Member

Oh, just the position I was in while working and the revelation you made to us the day before just made me appreciate I didn't have the "help" you might've been inclined to offer!
  11. 76Highboy

Hey, I'm a straight shooter. You see, I wouldn't have even thought that. Instead I would have greased a rock or two so when you braced yourself with your hand you would have fallen in.:lmao: Although if you ever passed out drunk I would paint your toe nails and take a pic and post them on here. That's for sure.
  12. geds

geds New Member

What are friends for?
  13. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I was slave to a 4,000 gal pond for about 12 years, 28 huge Koi, lots of work for the water feature, but an upcoming trip gave me a bug to get rid of everything! Sold the fish, liner, pumps, UV sterilizers and filters, filled in the pond and decked over. Now I can party where I used to toil, enjoyed the pond, but enjoy my freedom more.
  14. geds

geds New Member

hmmm....food for thought!
  15. 76Highboy

:D