Flag at half staff???

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by 22WRF, Jul 20, 2012.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

This was a horrific event but I think this over the top.
    Mine will not come down for movie goers.

Honoring the Victims of the Tragedy in Aurora, Colorado

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on July 20, 2012, in Aurora, Colorado, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, July 25, 2012.

American Flag

I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of July, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

BARACK OBAMA
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

At least he did not strike out LORD in the last line. Of course he never reads anything he signs anyway. Just his fool teleprompter.
  3. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Few people had any trouble with the flag at half staff after the 9-11 attack .
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree. That's completely over the top. What's next? Ten people die in a car wreck, and all the flags go to half-staff?
  5. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

While I cant stand the man, I wont condemn him for this just because I don't like him. This wasn't just a shooting, it was an act of terrorism against the American people. I think its a respectful thing to do.
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Get ready...it is coming to that
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

ditto
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

No it wasn't. It was cold blooded murder. Don't equate this to terrorism. Its the same as calling a murder a hate crime because a white guy killed a black guy in a drug deal. No it was just murder. Plain and simple. This guy was a nut job. Was Columbine terrorism? Was the shooting of Gabby Giffords and those around her? What about the shooting in Tuscaloosa a couple days ago? NOPE

As far as flying the flag at half staff? I don't have a opinion. I wouldn't have done it, but.........
  9. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Spot on.
  10. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

agreed!
  11. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

If a GOP president ordered the flag at half staff after an event like this no one would have said anything negative about it.
  12. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Protocol dictates that the flag is only flown at half staff for an official of federal, state or military. As horrible as this event is, it is improper to issue such an order.
  13. Appliancedude

9-11 was a attack on the US. And many Military and Civilians lost their lives when 1 of the planes hit the pentagon. It wasn't just the towers that got hit. People tend to forget that, since all the focus is on New York. So flying the flag at half mast after 9-11 was completely appropriate in my opinion.
  14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I wasn't talking about 9-11. I'm talking about yesterday.
  15. Appliancedude

I know that. look at the quote I had above yours. I was using yours to emphasize my point. JH used 9-11 as a reason to fly the flag at half mast. I was using your post to try and explain why at least in my opinion it was appropriate then.