Flag Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SouthernMoss, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Don't forget that June 14 is Flag Day, the anniversary of the day in 1777 when the Second Continental Congress adopted our flag.

Let Old Glory fly!!!!

[​IMG]
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Mine retired. I have to get another one.
  3. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Thank you, SoMo. Last year's calendar is long gone, but it pointed out flag days, and I have a beauty which, thanks to you, will be flying tomorrow!

I don't believe in leaving a flag up all the time. I have seen some that are nothing but faded tatters of Old Glory, crippled and wrinkled after years in the sun.

To all, please treat your flags reverently - don't hang them outside for the elements year 'round - make it a special ritual, an fly it with pride. Don't leave the flag out in rain or after dark unless it is illuminated by flood lights and protected by Marine Guards.

Thank you,

LL
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I put one up this morning - the traditional 13-star Revolutionary flag.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

SoMo and I fly a flag 24/7/365.

In other words - -

It's ALWAYS there !!!!!
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Up this morning..Only one in the neighborhood :( :( :(
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Didn't have to think of it today.

Mine's up like Marlin & Somo. All of the time and it's an all weather flag that has lasted almost a year now.
  8. Er, a, SoMo, would it be OK if I fly this one too???? :D ;) :p

[​IMG]
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Marlin can tell you I get really angry when I see a flag flying that is frayed and faded. Like Berto, ours is an all-weather flag. And it is replaced regularly. When it begins to show signs of wear, Marlin takes it down and carefully folds it in the proper manner. Then I take it to a co-worker of mine who is a member of the local VFW. They, together with a local Boy Scout Troop, collect old flags and regularly hold a flag retirement ceremony.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Fold it up and put it away for fear of the elements? Not me...If it's worn, I'll replace it. She is flying in a very shady spot of my front lawn, so there dosen't seem to be a big problem there.

Oh she's lit up at night...I've done my fair share of complaining about my neighbors doing things backwards and lighting the inside of their homes at night while leaving everything pitch black outside, but, this does tend to set my flag off nicely as you come down the street at night.

Nope, I think I'll fly MY flag PROUDLY.

Crpdeth
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Pistol, there is a better alternative to using the "Battle Flag", which tends to heat some up. This is the one that, correctly, too, flies at the Confederate White House in Montgomery 24/7/365 as it was the official one back when the capitol was still in Montgomery.

I prefer to fly this one:

Attached Files:

12. An entry into what could be an interesting discussion, Marlin. :D

The flag you depict, often referred to as the "Stars and Bars," is only the first of three flags offically authorized by the Congress of the Confederate States of America between 1861 and 1865, and was authorized for use only between March 5, 1861 and May 26, 1863. It was ultimately abandoned because of its too close resemblance to the Stars and Stripes, especially at rest and in the heat of battle. Actually, it was that very fact that prompted General P.G.T. Beauregard, after the First Battle of Manassas in 1861, to design the so-called "Battle Flag" based on the Cross of St. Andrew. The Battle Flag was, of course, never officially authorized for use as a national flag by the Confederate Congress, though it is indeed the flag the vast majority of soldiers fought under during the "late unpleasantness" as their regimental colors. ;)

The Second National Flag, often called the "Stainless Banner," was put into use on May 1, 1863 and was, in fact, the flag which draped the coffin of General Thomas Jonathan Jackson after his death at Chancellorsville in 1863. It appeared like this:

[​IMG]

The Stainless Banner served as the national flag of the Confederacy until the very end of the war, March 4, 1865 to be specific. It was abandoned because, at rest, when the canton did not show, it could be mistaken for a white surrender flag. It was replaced by this flag:

[​IMG]

Now, a couple of things that might be of interest. The flag I showed above and which is so often portrayed as the battle flag of the Confederacy, is actually not the true Battle Flag at all, but rather the Second Navy Jack in use between 1863 and 1865. The actual Battle Flag was square rather than rectangular in shape. Few original battle flags exist today because most were burned by the men who served under them at the end of the war to prevent capture by the Federals. It looked like this:

[​IMG]