Flags

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (3/30/01 3:34:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Flags
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I took my son to the Chickamauga Battlefield recently. I wanted him to see the gun collection. He really enjoyed it. In the lobby there were all kinds of flags, but one was missing. The Confederate battle flag. The flag of ol' Johnny Reb. Why is that ? The south won the battle. Has the confederate flag been removed from all the "Civil War" battlegrounds? ( I prefer "War Between the States". There was nothing civil about that war.)

Kdubya
    (3/30/01 11:59:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Flags
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Awwwww, don't tell me the PC crowd has managed to yank the battleflag from monuments and museums, now! Next, they will rewrite the history whereas as motley groups of slave holders rebelled forcing the slaves to do all their fighting.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 8:32:32 am)
    I don't know, it was there the last time I was there, about 1 1/2 years ago.

That Gun Collection is the best I have ever seen in any museum!!!!! It is from a private individual that donated it, can you imagine EVER accumulating a collection like that? We can only dream...

I had an interesting experience at that museum the first time I was at the battlefield. My wife and kids were with me, we were on our way to see her parents in FLA. and she was in a hurry, to her, history is "Wow, another cannon. Can we leave yet?" She couldn't find me.

There was a school field trip visiting the museum, elememtery kids, mostly Black. I was looking at the Spencers when one kid came up to me an asked a question. When I started explaining, just about the whole class, with the teacher came up and actually listened to my boring lecture like they were actually interested. My wife found me there and said I should have been a teacher after all...

If you do it right, kids CAN get interested in history on their own. It is inherently interesting, it's the watered down revisionist stuff spoon-fed in schools by teachers, that were NOT really taught History, Science, or anything else, but were just taught "how to teach," that turns them off! The teachers know about as much as the kids about what they teach!

If we can only get the kids to read ONE book on their own, they can and will challenge the teachers when they feed them BS in class. Mine did!! Just like I did. They made me proud!

Plus, volunteer your knowledge! I several times have spoken to elementary school classes in my home town about Civil War stuff. The teacher's love it, they don't have to plan a class, and the kids learn stuff they would NEVER be exposed to from her!!!

THAT'S how we will keep PC out of History!!

obelix2
    (3/31/01 4:31:30 pm)
    Applause.

Kdubya
    (3/31/01 7:09:24 pm)
    Ah, Polish -
    You do so WELL on a soapbox!!
    My most sincere admiration.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/31/01 7:17:32 pm)
    I was called a "Verbose Polak" by an English teacher one time...had me pegged, don't you think? He was Polish too...

Sorry for the long posts...