Flake powder vs stick powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Squeak, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak Member

I'm currently loading some .45 ACP with a flake type powder (green dot - - yeah, I know - - not the best choice, but I wanna use it up).
    I'm having some trouble with static electricity with this flake powder sticking to measuring parts.
    After I get rid of this green dot, is there a ball or stick powder that I can buy that won't ginch me up so much with static?
    Who has the best luck with what?
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I use Unique in the .45 acp which is a great powder. Nothing wrong with Green Dot either. Try this: get a dryer sheet and cut a long 1" strip (diagonally through the middle), empty your powder measure, insert the strip into the bottle so that it hangs down just above the measure intake and trap it with a rubber band or the bottle cap. A dryer sheet will eliminate the static cling. Frankly; if you have static issues with Green Dot you ain't seen NOTHING 'til you use something like 296! I don't know of any stick powders suitable for the .45 acp.

The dryer sheet is good for about six months. And; it leaves your ammo April Fresh!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

As far as I know there arent any extruded (stick) powders that will work safely in the .45ACP. All are gonna be ball or flake.

The dryer sheet trick is a good one and does work most of the time. A powder baffle will also help.. But try running a full hopper completely thru your measure a couple times. This will thoroughly coat the internals with graphite from the powder and should help to eliminate the static buildup. When i got my LEE measure i had to run 3 hoppers full of AA2520 thru it before it would stop 'clinging'.. then I came across a well used Lyman 55 that was plum black with powder residue and has absolutely no cling whatsoever.. Its the best measure ive ever used.
  4. sliclee

sliclee New Member

Stop using extruded powder and flake. For competition or fun shooting using a 200 grain bullet or a 180, bullseye, Hodgdon Clays, Tightgroup,VitVouri 320, or a bit colder on the burn chart, change the recoil spring to match the slide. Every powder measure should have a baffle in it to make the throw perfect.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I ONLY use Titegroup in my 200gr plinker loads. Clean burning powder that doesn't have the cling problem and it gives consistent charge weights in my RCBS or my Dillon powder measure.
  6. X Ring

X Ring Member

Try Winchester 231, almost universal ball powder for handguns.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Titegroup here too. and my Lyman55 doesnt have a baffle and it still throws perfect charges..