Flash Mobs

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by J-Man, Mar 23, 2010.

1. J-Man

J-Man New Member

For those of you who don't know what a "flash mob" is, it's basically when people use the internet, Twitter, social networking sites, etc., to organize and get together for either a protest, or a riot.

As it so happens, in Philadelphia, recent flashmobs have rampaged through center city, vandalizing property and beating up people. It's tragic all around.

My questions for the forum is: "How does one prepare for something like this?"

I'm talking about someone with a concealed carry permit, and a handgun.

Anyone in Pennsylvania more familiar with the Uniform Firearms Act have any advice on this?

If a crowd of thirty kids are trying to kick my head in, I'd draw and defend myself, but I'm wondering if there are any resources like books or the experience of forum members to help me out.

Thanks.
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

As I've said before, declare Martial Law in our inner cities and boat them back to Africa.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If thirty people are trying to kick your head in ............... a hand gun is not the soultion you need! You need more fire power. An AR, AK, SKS, anything with at least a 30rd. mag.
  4. J-Man

J-Man New Member

The assault rifle sadly is not permitted for carry. :(

As for the mob itself, I'm just as concerned if they are white kids as they are black.

Any peaceful protest can go south if a few crackpots decide to go wild. Mob mentality can take over quickly, and knowing how to defend yourself in a situation like that could come in handy no matter where you reside.

Obviously knowing where you are is foremost, but take a wrong turn in your car, or get caught up in the L.A. riots, and you're in deep stuff.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

Carry a reliable gun with as much ammo as you can stand. Practice defensive handgunning and use of cover. Practice reloading drills. Shooting at an IDPA match with your carry gun is a great way to start. I don't care if there are 50 of them, when the first few thugs hit the ground and start leaking blood, the rest will quickly lose interest. If not, then keep dropping them. Do what you have to do to protect yourself.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. J-Man

J-Man New Member

That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but you can likely keep one cased in your car. A handgun isn't ideal against a mob, but it may give you time to get yourself to more firepower.

And remember, once you get to your car, you'd be far better off driving your way out than shooting your way out if at all possible.
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Not knowing the rules of your location if you can flee I would. Distance is your friend. If you can't get away then I would pick the one that is the biggest threat to your life (probably a leader) and shoot him to the ground. You may have to do that to two or three of them but a leaderless mob isn't a trained army and the rest should beat feet. Once they all do stop shooting. You don't want to shoot someone in the back and the post that mentioned cover is a good one as some in the mob are probably armed as well.
  9. firecop19

firecop19 New Member

My part of town is just outside of the city of philly. I asked two different cops about just this very topic. The reply, drive out of danger, if they pull you out of the car that is assult with intent and you are justified in the use of your CCW. Your life is at risk.
  10. firecop19

firecop19 New Member

also..........the taurus JUDGE 410 just might be the answer to this problem. These school students should not be worried about the civil court judge but the JUDGE under someones belt.
  11. wpage

wpage New Member

Cant imagine that many folks wanting to kick someones ass...
    Unless maybe you are currently holding office?
  12. Skyhook

Skyhook New Member

"Flash Mobs" had me wishing for some Flash-Bangs to go with the G-30.

;)
  13. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Don't know how we got to this point. Probably by electing politicians who lied about who and what they are. Imagine that? They run on law and order issues and then disarm us and punish us if we resist the criminal element who are their primary constituents. Being criminals they don't mind voting early and often for walking around money. Now we have flash mobs. If I'm in my truck I will attempt to escape, bump bump, and drive to the nearest police station. Don't know how that would turn out. Depends on the DA. If it happens in a mall or grocery store or parking lot and escape is impossible, the only recourse is to do the most damage as quickly possible in the least amount of time to the closest assailants. No holds bared. Every brutal thing I learned in the service before going down. At my age hitting the floor would be the end of me.. Can just see how the press would cover it if I should survive.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

It's a sad commentary on our country and society if we even have to be having this discussion. This is not some third world country where anarchy dictates the rules(except on the roads of course). It also points out the failure of law enforcement to protect the lives and safety of citizens. After all their job should consist of more than just writing parking tickets and eating donuts.( LEO's please don't flame me) The computer age has certainly brought some new challenges. For every advantage there seems to be an offsetting disadvantage. Maybe someone should tell all the texters out there that they could actually tell the people they are texting easier than typing it. After all it is first and foremost a phone, right? If this keeps up they're going to have to redesign fanny packs to hold higher capacity mags. Actually, I found a nifty backpack that holds my Kel-Tec PLR-16 and 10- 30 rnd. mags. really swell. I just strap it on and it's, Bye Hon, I'm off to the mall!