flashlight suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Dec 25, 2011.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am old school maglite. I know today there are these led flashlights. I dont know if it is any better to go with led or not. Anyway i need to get a few new flashlights. So I was wondering if i could get some input on the new led stuff.

What i want is a flashlight like the maglite 3d cell. At least comp to that.

Now I will not spend no hundred dollars on a flashlight, cuse if that is the case i will just buy maglites again.

ok Go.

Links to suppliers or ebay would be nice too. thanks.
  2. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

A plain old Coleman LED light from Wallyworld works for me. $20 gets you 70-140 lumens. Takes 3 AAA batteries and last a very long time with them. It's small, light weight and is strong enough to temporarily destroy a person's vision if shined in the eyes at close range. It also has large serrations which can be sharpened for use as a defensive weapon.

There are a ton of more powerful lights out there, but to me they are severely overpriced for what they are. I absolutely hate any light powered by 123A batteries. Yes, they are incredibly bright.........when they work. Those things work great time after time....then....nothing. No warning. Dead batteries.:mad:

Some rechargeables are outstanding as well.....til you need to recharge. I don't carry a generator with me in the field.

Regular bulbs: Drop the light and no more bulb. Try to break a LED.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

LED light is a topic within itself besides what flashlight brand to go with. A good light will have a normal or "neutral" color temperature. Oldschool maglights tend to be warm and cheap LED seems blueish or cool. Now with all this in mind spend a few dollars on a Fenix flashlight and have an indestructable piece that will burn for 50,000 hours without a hitch. I personally carry the fenix tk11 and coworkers are constantly commenting on how unbelievable powerful the light is. Google "fenix" and seriously consider their products , they blow maglights off the planet.
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

I learned the expensive way to stay away from flashlights that take the CR123A batteries. The lights that use them are good and bright, but at $10-15 per refill, it isn't really worth it. Now I'm looking for a good, bright flashlight that has the cartridge that holds 3 AAAs. I've got a older Dorcy that's 110 lumens (I think), and it's still a darn good light. I googled them just now.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/c-1-led-flashlights.aspx?gclid=CO-yiZDanq0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

That's Dorcy Direct, and they have an assortment of flashlights of 150-200 lumens for $25-40. I'll be ordering a couple for myself.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

How about this http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000003911&categoryid=1185&brand= one. 500 lumens:eek: from AA batteries!
  6. cycloneman

I am not about to buy 123 batteries. no no.

I need a couple of small flashlights that take AA batts for around the house and for hurricane use. I also need to get a couple of flashlights like the old school maglite 3d cells.

I like the small flashlights for general use because it is far cheaper to replace AA batts rather then D's. For 10 bucks i can get a pack of 24 AA's at lowes and go a long time.

I looked at the fenix lights and i am not spending 60 to 100 bucks on a light, i would rather spend the money on batts. Remember this is just a flashlight, for general use if I really need to cut the night i will pull out the q beam.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Read you loud and clear now. General all-around light, low cost, cheap batteries, lifetime bulb. This http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=1185&product_id=2000004481 is what I carry and was refering to in my first reply.
  8. cycloneman

9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i got an led flashlight maybe 4" long at Advance Auto Parts keep it in glove compartment and it fits in pocket i love it very bright and cost $3.00
  10. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

If it's what I'm thinking of (aluminum and it's got a bunch of LEDs in front), do this: With a vice or vice grips, slightly squeeze the very front bezel just forward of the lens. Why? I turned mine on one night and the lens/bulb/electricals popped out. I put the guts back in and sqeezed the front and it's been fine since.

If it's the same one I have, Murphy's law will get you and it will happen when you need it the most.
  11. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you like the look and feel of your old Mag, then you need a Malkoff drop in. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/

These baby's are bright, use either a C or D cell depending on your light, and they are satisfaction guaranteed. I have several and can say, what you read about throw and brightness is the truth.
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I like the bezels and tail caps. I may invest in them at some time. Found a guy a few years ago that made mods for the maglights, but he didnt have any ordering info.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Expensive flashlights are overrated. I used to sell a line of NEBOS at the building material store I worked at, of various models. One tiny one recharged by plugging right into your cigarette lighter on your car and was a simple on-off. One had seven settings including one where it would flash SOS in various strobes. All were plenty bright enough.

Here is the one I use the most, basic on-off.

#5112 CSI LUMA50™ $10

[​IMG]
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a mate here whos son is THE tech head on these things and i got one of these last Christmas from my mate ( chosen by his son)

UniqueFire AA-S1 3W OSRAM 160-Lumen LED Flashlight

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-aa-s1-3w-osram-160-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-24220

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they are cheap !! i've bought a few since ...

sorry for the online store pic's ..

and i'n getting two of these ..

UniqueFire M9 CREE XM-L 3-Mode 750-Lumen White LED

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique...white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-55847
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member