flashlight suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Dec 25, 2011.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I am old school maglite. I know today there are these led flashlights. I dont know if it is any better to go with led or not. Anyway i need to get a few new flashlights. So I was wondering if i could get some input on the new led stuff.

What i want is a flashlight like the maglite 3d cell. At least comp to that.

Now I will not spend no hundred dollars on a flashlight, cuse if that is the case i will just buy maglites again.

ok Go.

Links to suppliers or ebay would be nice too. thanks.
  2. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

A plain old Coleman LED light from Wallyworld works for me. $20 gets you 70-140 lumens. Takes 3 AAA batteries and last a very long time with them. It's small, light weight and is strong enough to temporarily destroy a person's vision if shined in the eyes at close range. It also has large serrations which can be sharpened for use as a defensive weapon.

There are a ton of more powerful lights out there, but to me they are severely overpriced for what they are. I absolutely hate any light powered by 123A batteries. Yes, they are incredibly bright.........when they work. Those things work great time after time....then....nothing. No warning. Dead batteries.:mad:

Some rechargeables are outstanding as well.....til you need to recharge. I don't carry a generator with me in the field.

Regular bulbs: Drop the light and no more bulb. Try to break a LED.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

LED light is a topic within itself besides what flashlight brand to go with. A good light will have a normal or "neutral" color temperature. Oldschool maglights tend to be warm and cheap LED seems blueish or cool. Now with all this in mind spend a few dollars on a Fenix flashlight and have an indestructable piece that will burn for 50,000 hours without a hitch. I personally carry the fenix tk11 and coworkers are constantly commenting on how unbelievable powerful the light is. Google "fenix" and seriously consider their products , they blow maglights off the planet.
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

I learned the expensive way to stay away from flashlights that take the CR123A batteries. The lights that use them are good and bright, but at $10-15 per refill, it isn't really worth it. Now I'm looking for a good, bright flashlight that has the cartridge that holds 3 AAAs. I've got a older Dorcy that's 110 lumens (I think), and it's still a darn good light. I googled them just now.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/c-1-led-flashlights.aspx?gclid=CO-yiZDanq0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

That's Dorcy Direct, and they have an assortment of flashlights of 150-200 lumens for $25-40. I'll be ordering a couple for myself.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

How about this http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000003911&categoryid=1185&brand= one. 500 lumens:eek: from AA batteries!
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I am not about to buy 123 batteries. no no.

I need a couple of small flashlights that take AA batts for around the house and for hurricane use. I also need to get a couple of flashlights like the old school maglite 3d cells.

I like the small flashlights for general use because it is far cheaper to replace AA batts rather then D's. For 10 bucks i can get a pack of 24 AA's at lowes and go a long time.

I looked at the fenix lights and i am not spending 60 to 100 bucks on a light, i would rather spend the money on batts. Remember this is just a flashlight, for general use if I really need to cut the night i will pull out the q beam.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

Read you loud and clear now. General all-around light, low cost, cheap batteries, lifetime bulb. This http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=1185&product_id=2000004481 is what I carry and was refering to in my first reply.
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i got an led flashlight maybe 4" long at Advance Auto Parts keep it in glove compartment and it fits in pocket i love it very bright and cost $3.00
  10. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

If it's what I'm thinking of (aluminum and it's got a bunch of LEDs in front), do this: With a vice or vice grips, slightly squeeze the very front bezel just forward of the lens. Why? I turned mine on one night and the lens/bulb/electricals popped out. I put the guts back in and sqeezed the front and it's been fine since.

If it's the same one I have, Murphy's law will get you and it will happen when you need it the most.
  11. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you like the look and feel of your old Mag, then you need a Malkoff drop in. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/

These baby's are bright, use either a C or D cell depending on your light, and they are satisfaction guaranteed. I have several and can say, what you read about throw and brightness is the truth.
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I like the bezels and tail caps. I may invest in them at some time. Found a guy a few years ago that made mods for the maglights, but he didnt have any ordering info.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Expensive flashlights are overrated. I used to sell a line of NEBOS at the building material store I worked at, of various models. One tiny one recharged by plugging right into your cigarette lighter on your car and was a simple on-off. One had seven settings including one where it would flash SOS in various strobes. All were plenty bright enough.

Here is the one I use the most, basic on-off.

#5112 CSI LUMA50™ $10

[​IMG]
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a mate here whos son is THE tech head on these things and i got one of these last Christmas from my mate ( chosen by his son)

UniqueFire AA-S1 3W OSRAM 160-Lumen LED Flashlight

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-aa-s1-3w-osram-160-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-24220

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and they are cheap !! i've bought a few since ...

sorry for the online store pic's ..

and i'n getting two of these ..

UniqueFire M9 CREE XM-L 3-Mode 750-Lumen White LED

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique...white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-55847
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

16. Grizz

Grizz Member

I live out where no one does, so I need to see at night pretty good since there are NO lights around. I use a CREE 5w Headlamp. Perfect for around the house, working on projects or whatever because its hands free and adjustable. I bought 3 of them on ebay and had them for about 3 months now and love them! They even come with 2 18650 rechargeable batteries and charger.

Check them out, I work on my guns all the time with these!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOOMABLE-5W...963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27baf9f153

They are zoomable so you could see a big area of about 100 yards in front of you lit up in complete blackness, or you can zoom and spot animals almost 200 yards away.
  17. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

I have a couple of Surefire weapon lights that use the 123a batteries and I can pick them up from Grainger for $15 per dozen for the Surefire branded version of the batteries. Which is cheaper than the major brands and they store longer than the others as well. I also keep about 4 dozen in stock just in case we might need them for something. I also have converted over all the Maglite AA flashlights in the house to the LED bulbs.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Stick with your Maglite. If it has the standard bulb in it, you can buy the conversion kit that will change it over to LED. The Coleman lights are great, and I use rechargable batteries in mine. The batteries hold up well, and these little lights are very bright. My target for 100 yds. is probably 130 yds form my front porch, and I can see it easily with either my Maglight, or the Coleman. Double D is, or was selling a little light that I think was 170 lumens, for around $35, check with him. That little lite is bright!
  19. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I have a Dorcy that takes 3AAA that outshines my 2 cell D maglight hands down.
    LED is the only way to go, whiter light, consumes way less energy.

Speaking of that and beings that it is Christmas time, I guess I should replace the batteries beings that they are a year old.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Length: 4.76"

http://www.dorcy.com
    Surefire makes quality stuff too.
    I bet that Bill DeShivs's lights are good.

Thanks for the info about converting Mag Lights to LED Carver, I didn't know that.
    15 bucks isn't a bad deal.

[​IMG]

How about this one, 1000 meter throw on high
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flashlightz.com/product.php?p=olight_sr-90&product=176339
  20. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Have a streamlight tasklight 3-AA for one of the AR's, is ok out to 100 yards, about 8-9inches long, 40 bucks. Friends have Surefires and I think they are the best on guns.

I picked up these 4-5 inch NEBO Redlines for 27 bucks on sale. They are pretty good, put out a 10 yard circle at 100 yards makes the night, white daylight. Got them for the wife, we actually have wolves run our road and when it's minus 45 & trucks don't start, wife rides bus to school with the local kids. She feels safe when she can see everything she thinks is out there. 2 AA batteries, 220 lumens at 150 yards for 4 hours. Nice for in pocket.