Flashlights

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to believe the Surefires (or their component parts) are built in China. I can't prove it though. The cheap lights in the links don't compare to the DeLights. They are CR123A lights, mine are AAA. The DeLight is brighter, too. For the average person or cop, the DeLight is probably ideal. The next shipment is pre-sold. I will be getting another shipment in within a few weeks, and will put them on the "For Sale" forum. They are too new to be on my site, and they sell so fast I usually don't have any left!
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. SolidVFR

SolidVFR New Member

CR123s have a number of advantages over alkalines(cost is not one of them, though): They work in temperature extremes, can be used in high-drain devices, weigh less, better power-size ratio.

BTW, 6 Hours, 200lm is extremely unlikely. I'm not saying you're not being truthful, but there simply isn't an LED out there that boasts that kind of output. Likely, the light you have is direct-driven, and the output gradually drops off. Try running it for a couple hours and compare it with the same light, but with fresh batteris. Lastly, I highly doubt it is actually 200lm. Lumens are very difficult to measure, and almost all manufacturers exaggerate or just LIE about the output of their lights. My E1b, rated at 80lm would be called 150lm by many manufactures. SureFire is one of the only companies that UNDERESTIMATES the lumen output of their lights.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/525/sesent/00

SureFire's are more than just aluminum tubes with a bulb and a couple batteries. They are serious tools, engineered and thought-out. The company stands behind its products.

BTW, I don't work for SureFire or get paid in any way by them, I'm just a satisfied customer.

I own a number of Chinese made lights, and they offer great value for the money you pay. They're great to give away or to really beat up, but for a tactical light: SureFire. That is what they're designed for, and that is what they do best.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Actually, they are rated higher in lumen output by the factory. My 200 lumen rating is conservative.
    Yes, they do drop off a little in intensity after a couple of hours.
    Yes, they are brighter than Surefires, by quite a bit. I have tested them side by side.
    AAAs are availabe everywhere, at minimal cost.
    If you doubt it so much, then buy one and try it. I'll refund your money if you disagree!
    I know it's hard to swallow when you paid $150 for the Surefire! Like I said, the Surefire may be a little more rugged. It sure has a lot of knurling and "crennellated" parts. For most people, the Delight is a better mousetrap, though. And they are nothing like the other Chinese lights.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I didn't mention one light that runs on AA's that is probably the best engineered light yet made. It's called Phantom Warrior. As far as I know only military can buy them, at least that was my understanding a couple years ago. For civilians, it honestly has applications nobody would ever need, but it is still a great light. It's better than any Surefire for utility work in combat conditions, but maybe not in certain dedicated roles. It is a flashlight, not a "tac-lite" and will not blind a threat.

Bill, I don't doubt your DeLight...not enough to pay $43 to maybe get my foot in my mouth:D But that's why I was trying to say buying by brand alone is not very wise.

Once again to hit on intensity vs making yourself a target: You cannot be a target for a man blinded.
  5. Bill DeShivs

I have no way to measure the actual output of these lights,, but have tested them against Surefires and they are brighter.
    There maY be better lights, but not that run on AAAs and for $43!