flattest shooting rifle?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by deerman, Apr 3, 2005.

1. deerman

deerman New Member

What is the flattest shooting rifle?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Probably the 405mm (16") rifles on the USS Iowa class battle ships. :D

In shoulder mount, probably the .50 cal BMG.

In practical shoulder rigs for general hunting, pick one and start an argument. I've shot 1000 yard competiton with 30-06, but the wisdom of today is that the cartridge won't do that these days. It is amazing how wimpy the older cartridges get as the younger generation starts shooting. :D

Pops
  3. deerman

deerman New Member

A 50bmg would be nice, well I guess it would if my shoulder could take it?

You made the 1000 yard shots because you know trajectory, that doesn't mean its the flattest shooting. I was just wondering what the flattest shooting factory made hunting rifle is. I figure it would be one of the varmit rifles mayeb a wssm or the ruger 204?? Just wondering?
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My father and I have both nailed tacks at 800-1000 yards with .30-06 ammo using a 1903 Rock Island that my Uncle carried in WWI. That was the first gun I fired other than a .22 calibre.

The first time out Dad confidently shot two rounds at approximately 950 yards and put only one hole in the board. When we dug the bullets out of the embackment they were piggy backed..... He never was much into guns himself but it was proven to me time and time again that he was a great shot!
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There are so many variables here that the question probably has no answer. OR, has a different answer for every minute of the day. :D

Basically, the higher the velocity, the flatter the trajectory. When we were playing around with Roy Wetherby, out of his garage, he let me shoot his .22-06. 120gr solid copper projectile at >3000fps. As I was not yet a teenager and weighed about the same as the rifle, it was a toss-up as who had the most velocity when I pulled the trigger. :D However, it was basically a hold-on-target out to 600 yards (8" bull.)

Long, skinny, boat-tail, heavy slugs at high velocity will shoot the flattest trajectory. That formula also eats barrels and shooters.

Pops
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Flatest shooting over what distance. They are all flat for the first 10 yards. What distance are you talking about? This must be a trick question! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Trajectory (flatness) is measured in distance and velocity plus the bullet weight. Give us the information and we can help. Without it, my guess is the 16" guns of the Iowa class BB's!

DOH!
  7. joseph2213

joseph2213 New Member

50 bmg or the .338Lapua Mag
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Suggest that the .22-250, launching a 78gr, vld bullet, at about 3500fps, may be your baby.
    JJ Conway reports sub 8" groups at 1,000.
    But then, He'd wax my backside, with a rimfire rifle, at the same range.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Ya gotta love a .22-250. This one drives tacks.

Attached Files:

10. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

Not much of a rifle shooter ...... I hear a lot of rifle target shooting peoplespeak very highlyAbout the "ROMANIAN 7.62 mm Dragon Style Stock Factory Compensator 4x Illuminated Scope 10 rd Mag. Around $800/$1000. CharlieD
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Please look at a Springfield M1A before you drop a $1,000 on a ComBlock rifle. Any M1 variation is likely more quality and is upgradeable with good durable accessories.

The Dragonovs you can find are most likely chambered in 7.62x54, which gives you no ballistic advantage over .308 Win or 30-06 (or just about any common 7mm/.28 through .30 cal from the US). 7.62x54 ammo might be cheaper, but you will need to buy match grade or reload to get on par with good US ammo. Dragonovs are like most Comblock rifles; fun for plinking, but inferior to their Western counterparts in "off-the-shelf" quality and accuracy.

Flattest shooting rifle. There has to be an application to hold that standard up to. A .270 Win is one of the flattest shooting rifles that won't beat you silly, but it still drops over three feet at 500 yds (and don't forget wind drift; it's easily =/< to drop, always a big factor). Which as a cartridge is all good for hunting farm deer or friendly competition matches. But inside 100 yds a .44 Mag shoots flat enough for deer, but not groundhogs, where a little .22 Mag is as good as a .204 Ruger. The flattest shooting rifle is only as good as you can hold over in the field or on the bench anyway, and a couple inches either way is irrelevant when you start reaching out past where you can judge 3 inches from 13.

I heard about this experimental rail-gun thing that uses electromagnets to launch a projectile at a velocity of like 5 miles per second; I bet at 2,000 yards it still hasn't dropped over an inch... :eek:
  12. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

A properly set-up .308 does a fine job at longer ranges and while it also has some drop,it's very accurate caliber.

Attached Files:

13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yes, Sir.

The little .308 was just born to succeed. I just recently became a big fan of the 7mm-08 and am convinced that the cartridges derived from the .308 case are just about the most practical and still highly effective thing for southern deer.
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

It's directly proportional to the average velocity of the round, and nothing else. Gravity is going to pull every bullet down at the same acceleration (no matter the weight or shape of the round). So, the quicker the round travels the gap between where you are and where you're shooting, the less it drops due to the acceleration of gravity, which is 32 feet per second per second. The longer it stays in flight, the more it's going to drop...

The round which can maintain the highest velocity from point A to point B will fall the least because gravitational acceleration is constant... So, what you guys say about boat tails makes perfect sense, in that they will maintain a higher velocity over their flight trajectory because of aerodynamics. But the boat tail shape, by itself, has nothing to do with how "fast" the round drops. I know y'all know... Just explaining for the heck of it...

.50 BMG also makes sense in that it has a long range. Because of the long range, we can assume it has a higher average velocity over its flight than most rounds, especially for longer ranges than most guns are designed to shoot. However, a small higher-velocity round, with less range, might have a shorter fall *aka: flatter trajectory* over a shorter range than a .50 BMG. So the question, "over what range" also makes sense. It's impossible to say categorically which rifle has a flatter trajectory without knowing exactly what distance you're shooting over... Just some ideas I thought I'd throw out...

Sorry for going engineer on ya... but I hope it helped. :D
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  15. X Man

X Man New Member

Hey Marlin hahaha, Maybe your father did put 2 30-06 bullets on top of each other at 950 yards, and maybe he didn't. But I would like to see him do that 2 times in a row. Heck, just 2 times PERIOD, would be entertaining. In other words, I doubt he could ever do it again. I have been to too many long range (600-1000 yd) matches, and seen how people put the bullets across the targets. Even the F-class people, with their fine benchrest style guns on sandbags, with highpower scopes, could never repeat that feat. We just had a new club record set on Long Range, by a F class shooter at 600 yards. He had 56 X's out of a 60 possible. Mind you the X ring is about 6 inches at 600 yards. This man was trying to put all 60 shots at the intersection of the X, and not one made it, but they were all in the X-Ring.