Flint Doe!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by polishshooter, Dec 2, 2007.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well, I went out this morning, since I still had my doe permit, and since "gun" ends tomorrow I could have still used the 1897, but to make it "Sporting," (and since one deer many times is plenty for my wife and I and I already had my buck in the freezer) I took my old Hopkins Allen Flintlock .44 "Minuteman Brush."

Got to the field at about 7:15, legal shoot was supposedly 7:13, but it was STILL way to dark, just "gloaming," no way I could even see the front sight, so I got ready and started walking to my stand. Cold as heck, 22 degrees, 5-10 mph wind.

Wind from the East, NOT very promising for either of my stands, but WTH, I'll use the one I got the buck from, it's more comfortable, anyway....:p

About 7:30 I felt it was light enough, (I could SEE the pan at least!) so I primed the pan with some 4F from my priming horn.

Not 5 minutes after priming, and still about 300 yds from the stand, I see a deer about 100 yds away to my South, came out of the ravine, moving fast must have kicked it up, since the tail is up... got the field glasses on it but the strap was UNDER the strap of my "Possibles" bag :confused:so had to do some contortions...is it a BUCK?...but then a little one following it, must have been a doe, but too fast, too far away, hey, at least I saw deer again....

Make it to the stand, blow the priming powder out of the pan, clip the trigger guard to the rope, then climb up, pull up the rifle, reprime...hear something FALL to the ground and bounce in the leaves, notice my ball starter has been knocked off from the 'Possibles" bag....CRAP :mad::cool:

...and start to FREEZE....:eek:

First start zipping up all the zippers on the coveralls and the hoodie, then put on the watch cap, under the hood, with the orange cap on top...about 8:30 the toes are numb, even with 3 pairs of wool socks, and standing up to move them around every couple of minutes...and now the HANDS are cold, even with my GOOD gloves...:cool: SERIOUSLY think about getting down and doing some still hunting to get the blood flowing....YEAH, I know, 22 degrees isn't THAT cold, I used to hunt below zero and it never bothered me...but i AM getting old, and the blood IS thinner, especially with all those heart medicines....;)

About 8:55, pull off the gloves, put them in the armpits inside the coveralls to warm up so I can begin the "rotation" I learned as a kid from Buffalo;), dig around in the game bag for the "backup" gloves, (Army surplus "liners" and wool "Shooters Mittens") and put them on...

While trying to get the last mitten on I notice what looks like a deer, head on directly up the fenceline about 300 yds away, due North! At first it looks like it might have a small rack, but then two small deer appear next to it, must be a doe and it's fawns, the cut cornfield is playing tricks in the binocs...

I get the glove on, pick up the rifle, find out the "new" gloves are pretty darn SLIPPERY on the rifle:eek:, (I have never used them before with the Flintlock, and damm FEW times since I moved to Indiana even with the '97!:D) get into shooting position, which because I'm sitting and have on like 8 layers of clothing is pretty limited, to about 90 degrees to the West-North West...

The deer are crosswind, looking skittish, but start walking towards me...I decide if they get close I will shoot the doe fawn, it will be easier to handle and cut up, especially since I already have the buck in the freezer..but then I start to worry, I HATE shooting buttons, make SURE it isn't a button....

They keep coming, SLOWLY, the little ones prance out in front, they stop every so often, it looks like any time they might jump the fence onto the land I don't have permission to hunt on anymore (since I refused to pay his $100 fee!:mad:)

They get to about 50 yds away, behind a little tree that juts out of the beginning stand of trees along the fenceline, I can see them well, but no shot through the tree...I see one of the little one prancing, running around, then heading into the trees along the fence...the way he's acting I KNOW he's a button..they are always at that age the "stupider" of the bunch, compared to a young doe...he will probably go right under my stand to the right along the doe trail...CRAP I hope he doesn't get to me before the others give me a good shot, he might spook....

Then the two behind the tree start moving, TOWARDS me, I cock the hammer, and resting on the front of the stand, I aim towards the very front of the tree, which will clear it...maybe 25-35 yds...

...NO nubs...front blade at the level of the bottom of the belly...wait..it's walking slow..I'll pull when I see white....if there's any delay in ignition, IF it goes off at all, it will probably put it in the breadbasket....

Cli-BOOM...I'm as surprised as she is, that not only it WENT boom, but so FAST, no delay at all...

She JUMPS straight up, does a little corkscrew, kicking at the same time, but hits the ground running, the other two take off too, heading due west over the cut cornfield...but HER tail is DOWN, while theirs are up... (My Dad always said when they jump straight up then run off as if they aren't hit at all, many times you got the HEART, they'll be dead just out of sight....plus I learned years ago if they run off after the shot with their tails DOWN, you hit 'em...)

All three make about 2-300 yds across the field W-NW, then mine turns, runs back east towards the fence WAY up there about where I saw them at first, there's a crossing where they jump the fence, I lean WAY over to look up the other fence line after I lose her... to see if she crosses the fence...NOTHING....

Hhhmmmmm....

SO I lower the rifle with the rope, climb down, find my ball starter, in the briar bushes under the stand, then retrieve my hat from the briars,:cool: and proceed to load the rifle...find out that that "speedloader":eek: (Dan'l Boone would be ROLLING in his grave I Know....;)) has split at the end and separated, and while the POWDER was OK where is the damm part that has the patched ROUNDBALL....took me about 5 minutes to reload, the .440 ball just DOESN'T want to go down the COLD .437 bore in the cold, so HAMMER it down with the starter:cool:... (so much for the 15 second Revolutionary War Reload drill!:p)

...THEN another 5 minutes on my knees looking for the best Stag Handled vent pick I have ever owned and I'll be DAMMED if I'll lose IT:mad: (Do you KNOW how hard it is to spot Stag against old LEAVES????) FOUND it, BUT I think I have finally figured out the difference between what Simon Kenton and Dan'l Boone PROBABLY did with their "accoutrements" on their "Long Hunts" instead of what the "reenactors" at Friendship and other Rendesvous do to LOOK good....and NOT hang them from the straps of their "Possibles Bag....":cool:)

When I am FINALLY ready...(which is OK actually, kinda like bow hunting, give it a chance to lie down and die...) I go out and look where I shot it...and there in the frozen ground is some hair, and a TINY bit of blood, almost looks like a shred of bone...and it paces out at exactly 30 yds from the stand....

SO instead of looking for more blood out in the field...I head for where I last saw it...

And JUST over the little rise at about 300 yds, on my side of the fence, there she lay, in a BIG pool of blood, dead....;) the .440 Speer roundball and 65 grains of FFFg did OK.....

...but I AM surprised..Momma and the little one must have switched places on the other side of that tree, this one is a NICE doe....bigger than my buck, more fat...I got MOMMA...

I didn't get it weighed, I went to different check station, but while it isn't quite as big as last year's 150 lbs dressed Monster doe, she's close, the head size is almost the same...probably 135-140...

I hit her in the lower neck (I probably should have aimed just a little lower) and the ball exited just in front of the off side shoulder, the blood evidently was from the jugular...if I would have gotten ANY kind of delay in ignition, I would have probably gotten a high breadbasket hit, but since it fired so quickly, I was a little lucky on the shot.

The ground was still frozen, so I got the truck to her over the frozen tilled cornfield, so no miocardial infarction dragging her out either!:p Since I filled both tags I even pulled down my good stand and brought it out with me... but the funny thing was when I went to get the truck I emptied the rifle through the muzzle like I always do, and it took me THREE times before it went BOOM....good thing the doe was already DEAD when I got to it....;)

SO my season is over, (I could buy another doe tag and hit Muzzleloading Season next week, BUT two deer are PLENTY for us....) BUT I got her checked in, back home and hung in my "hanging tree" before noon, so I still had time to drive my wife to Indy today to deliver my daughter's dog we were "sitting" and do a little Xmas shopping....

...and the FIRST place my wife wanted to go was to Gander Mountain, where she bought me an early Xmas present...a new meat grinder!

PLUS she bought me ANOTHER big bottle of Beam...I have her trained WELL!

Tomorrow I will be cutting up another one, and I guess my season is over...with both tags filled.

I COULD buy another doe tag for only $15, for next week's Muzzleloading season, but two deer will be plenty for us, and why get greedy....;)
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. polishshooter

Crap, I forgot to post the pic....of the doe AND the "Hopkins Allen Minuteman Brush...."

BTW, I am 2 for 2 with the Flintlock, the only thing is both shots in the field were ten years apart!:p

Attached Files:

3. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Hey Polish, Way to go ;), sounds like a great hunt indeed. I am starting to really think that varmint hunting is what to look forward to for the next two months :D. Later catfish
  4. polishshooter

You know Cat, I was reminiscing with my wife on our drive, and she reminded me of the many years I would hunt for two solid weeks or more and not see a TAIL....or the "Buck Only" seasons seeing only Doe, and vice versa....

I really have to be extra thankful for my "two deer" years, I've had maybe 5 or 6 of them in the past 35 or so years.... even the seasons that seem just a "little" too easy like this one....

I hunted over 15 years before I got my first "by myself" deer....and I'm only three years removed from my last "skunk....."

BUT having said that, I'm also thankful deer are more plentiful in the US than any time in our history, AND that I now live in Indiana, where they are plentiful AND grain fed.....:p
  5. polishshooter

Well, she's in the freezer, except for the 15 lbs or so in the fridge waiting to be ground, I think I'll do that tomorrow night, I'm pretty tired...

Yep, about average, from skinning at noon until the kitchen is cleaned up and everything is wrapped and in the freezer, on an average deer, it takes me exactly 8 hours...

Although USUALLY the second deer takes me less, with one in the freezer you can be REALLY selective on your cuts...but this is the first one I'm going to grind any meat, so I still was pretty thorough on it...

It was good weather to hang overnight too...yesterday I got it hung by 11:00am, but the weather was calling for sleet and freezing rain, but still above freezing all night so I left the skin on....today it started out at 40 and was to get up to 58, BUT it never did, it was cloudy and windy, so as I cut it up and carried it in to butcher it was cool enough still...

About the only thing that sucked was going back out to cut up the rest of the carcass after I finished the hind quarters....it was pouring down rain with lightning and thunder, so I not only got soaked, but had a little excitement cutting the rest of it up....

From my rough measurements on the bathroom scale, I figure I will have another 60 lbs of boneless venison in the freezer when I get the grinding done , not counting the 15 lbs or so of the dog scraps....plus my two dogs are both contentedly chewing on the femurs, that I baked for them after I got the hindquarters done....they LOVE Deer season.....;) I lost about 3/4 of the neck roasts due to blood shot, since I hit it there, but I managed to trim some of it around the blood shot for the grinder...

And 5 nice 1 inch thick backstrap butterflies are in the fridge, my wife said to leave out some steaks for dinner tomorrow night....;)

Time for the celebratory cigar and drink on the porch, that I didn't get done yesterday....;)
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I am VERY impressed Mike!

Crpdeth
  7. polishshooter

Thanks, Crp.

The picture doesn't do her justice, either size or appearance of the coat...I had just removed her from the plastic "deer 'boggan" (which incidentally for $25 at Dunham's is a GREAT buy, it would drag much easily, better than wheels in snow or mud, but even loading it into the truck with one guy is easier, with a couple of 4 foot 2x8s leaned against the tailgate as a ramp, it slides right up!)

She actually was a very nice looking doe...

The reason her hide looks so ruffled is from the ropes that tighten up around the deer when you pull it, securing it in the sled...that then ruffle the fur again as you slide it out from underneath....

Plus I tried to wipe away some of the blood, it was the bloodiest kill I've had since I hit a buck in the heart a couple of years ago from 20 feet with a deer slug, the roundball blew away her jugular, I'm amazed she traveled as far as she did....I hate that, it makes for less than appealing pictures...

But I did get blood all over the rifle in the picture, that I DID clean off, but also all over my priming horn, which I didn't, it dried and added some character to it....;)
  8. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

Good show Polish, I used to live south of you in Pendleton. No I wasn't in prison. I sure miss those white tail. congrats again.
  9. polishshooter

Actually hotel, Pendleton is about 45 minutes or so NW of me....I live south of 70 about 10 miles or so from the Ohio line...the land I hunt is in Fayette County, but the fence line I talk about that's like 30 feet East of my stand is the Union County line.

I NEVER would have thought "Pendleton State....";):p :D
  10. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

Fayette county, There is another displaced Hooshier up here from Connersville. I thought you were up towards Fort Wayne for some reason. It's been some years since I've been on here. I did most of my hunting around Madison. They are thick down there. How's the weather? I was there in october for that ninty degree stuff. I don't miss that. 14 in Anchorage today. Great story though you should send it to Fur fish and Game. Take care HTR
  11. polishshooter

Just got finished with dinner....;)

Baked potatoes, Caesar Salad, roasted Garlic Deli bread, and.....the FRESH 1 inch thick back strap butterfly steaks from the Flint Doe, done on the grill to perfection, pink and juicy in the middle, seasoned only with black pepper and a little Mrs. Dash Spicy....:D:D:D:D:D:D

I was worried, since she had run a good 4-500 yds in a big semicircle after I shot her, until she died, SOMETIMES the adrenaline makes the meat a little tough....at least on Bucks that have been "pushed...."

NO worries, melt in your mouth tender.... ;)

I still think there is NO way you can mess up with any doe, or a young buck if you get it in the freezer as quickly as you can after it's cooled and dried....
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I wondered about that...I was thinking "Man that is one powerful smokepole...Musta flipped her through the woods a couple hundred yards or something". :D

Crp
  13. polishshooter

There is another Hoosier that posted the REALLY nice 13 pointer his son got this year, from Grant County...that's between the Fort and Indy....

Yeah, I live about 5 or so miles SE of Connertucky...;):p

hotel, you remember Hoosier weather..."If you don't like the weather in Indiana, wait 5 minutes?"

Today it never got over 25 degrees, and high wind warnings (25mph+) all over Central Indiana, Xmas decorations all over the place, MANY an inflatable Santa or steel reindeer took a faceplant:p....wind chill was probably about 15 degrees, after it got up to 58 yesterday....

And I had my heart attack on September 17th...cutting up firewood with my Homelite in 90 degree weather and high humidity...but I blame THAT on Algore and global warming....;)

Tomorrow they are calling for our first accumulating snow, 1-3 inches, but Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be 50 degrees and sunny...Heck, I might just pay $15 for another "Bonus Antlerless tag" and go back out for Opening Day Muzzleloading on Saturday....:p

But someday my wife and I want to visit Alaska, maybe we'll look you up...

I have her JUST about convinced we ought to move there, except she grew up in the mountains of Bradford, PA, (On the same weather maps in Buffalo, NY, where I lived as a kid in the snow belt of Western New York got the most snow, where SHE lived about an hour away was always the COLDEST....)and she made me promise a LONG time ago never to move to a place as cold or snowy as there....

...so if we ever HAD to move Tennessee or Western Kentucky are looking good to her as well....:p:p:p
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007