1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Flintlock pistol experts-need a little help!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by foxholedining, Apr 2, 2010.

1. foxholedining

foxholedining New Member

I purchased this old flintlock pistol when living in Europe. I believe it is French from the late 1700s but an expert opinion would be greatly appreciated; even a few good guesses would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Foxholedining

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I would date that pistol to about 1760-1770. Much later and I think it would have had a double gooseneck cock.

It could be an officer's pistol. There is an almost identical one shown in Hicks' French Military Weapons and identified as an officer's pistol c. 1763. It is a bit more elaborate but has the same type of buttcap and the shape of the cock and the pan is exactly the same. Too bad the lockplate inscription is unreadable, but maybe someone can tell what it is.

Value? I have no idea, but I would say at least $1000-1500 on age and general quality alone.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  3. foxholedining

foxholedining New Member

Jim,
    Thanks ever so much for the reply and your comments are most interesting. I purchased the pistol in Belgium from a friend (collector) and his opinion was similer with yours, but not nearly so precise. Thanks for the feedback!
    Brgds,
    Foxholedining