Flintlock Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dash, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Dash

Dash New Member

Hi,
    Thank you for your time and kind assistance on this matter. I purchased this item in an Antique Store FL USA sometime ago. It's a beautiful pistol and does have that spanish look about it. Would it be possible if you can give me some idea where this originally came from.
    I attached the files for you to view.
    Thanks again for your time.
    Dash

Attached Files:

2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

cool looking, welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help u
  3. Dash

Dash New Member

Thank You Beth.
  4. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

You have a piece of handicraft probably of mid-East origin, made for decoration and never an actual firearm. The trigger guard does appear to be an original gun part. Your photo omits the major source of information, that of the lock (firing) mechanism. From what I can see of it, only confirms the above.
  5. Dash

Dash New Member

Thank you for your input, could you let me know regarding the lock mechanism, does it not show. Or perhaps its missing, could you put a value on this. Thanks very much for your information and time. regards
  6. Dash

Dash New Member

Mid east I thought it looked more Spanish to me?
  7. dcriner

dcriner Member

Yes, probably a decorative item. Several screws have been recently replaced, a couple not seated - probably the wrong thread? The priming pan seems to be missing.

Here is a theory. An old gun was inlayed, etc., by someone who was a craftsman, but didn't know much about guns. Don't even think about firing it! Nice wall hanger.
  8. Dash

Dash New Member

Thanks for info and your time, can you put a value on this 17th century Spanish Flintlock
  9. dcriner

dcriner Member

No, because there is no evidence that it is a 17th Century gun, for reasons previously posted. What did you pay for it? You probably have been had.
  10. Dash

Dash New Member

I just found one like mine, they come in a pair, has the same mother of pearl design and silver inlay. I paid $500 for mine, but thanks for your input
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

OUCH!

post a close up, in focus pic of the r-side of the gun.. make the frizzen the center of the pic.

a pic with the frizzen open will help too, to expose what would be the pan. a top shot of that would help too

refer here for nomenclature..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FlintlockMechanism.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  12. Dash

Dash New Member

Hello Soundguy thanks for info, have uploaded emails as requested. Thanks

Attached Files:

13. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Pictures are good. None of the parts are original nor authentic copies of old flintlock gun parts.

Value as a collector gun is such that no knowledgeable gun collector would own it. As a wall decorator it's like beauty - 'in the eye of the beholder' - $50 - $150 ?

Reminds me of the saying "nothing is worthless - it can always serve as an example".
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

hmm.. I see no pics with the frizzen open.. and I see a 'weld' under what would be the pan, the frizzen sets on. with the flatness involved there.. and the thin cross section of the steele ( frizzen).. and the look of the nub on the frizen, that does not ontact that spring under it. I'd have to conclude it is a replica / artwork/ not a firearm...
    the jaw is also set up wrong / missing pieces as it would not pinch a flint as is.. ie.. under the jaw screw would be another flatish plate to hold a flint back by leather usually.. and that would have to be able to contact the frizen as it travels in an arc downward, forcing the frizzen open, exposing the pan and powder primer charge, as the flint is forcingthe frizzen open and moving down it throws sparks into the pan to make a flash.... as it looks, if the hammer did move.. the flint would not be striking the frizzen in the correct place. and the frizzen itself looks very, very thin.. yet has no scrape markings on it that would be evident with even a few fireings.

the lower spring unde rthe frizen could be correct if longer.. but that may be an age thing.

deffinately some oddities. couldn't say more without either super detail pics, including muzzle, bore, pan, flash hole... etc.. or in person. so far I'm betting 97% on decorative wall piece to perhaps go behind glass or in a disply box to show off that inlaid wood.. maybee with some wax or nice furniture polish on it to makeit shine.
  15. Dash

Dash New Member

Hi RHMC24,
    Thanks again for your time, I have taken some pictures on the right side of the mechanism. Thanks all, at least I know, you're right, beauty is in within the eye of the beholder