flintlock pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nancy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. nancy

nancy New Member

I was told this is a French flintlock pistol, 60 caliber. It is smooth bore, fluted barrel.

Nancy

Attached Files:

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Nancy.
    Are there any markings/stampings, etc., on the pistol?
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Nothing about this pistol looks right to me. If it was for sale on-line I would not bid on it. My guess is that it's a fake made someplace like North Africa, or Pakistan. They have been cranking out things like this for years to sell to tourists.
  4. nancy

nancy New Member

I have owned this pistol for at least 20 years. It certainly could be a fake. That is why I am here, to try and find out.
    On the top of the pistol are three words, all in capital letters, in script. VIRGILIO ROM_AI_ FECIT
    We cannot find any numbers on this or any insignias or makers marks. There are three womens heads(you can see one in the above picture), one on either side of the body and one on the underside of the trigger guard.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The name would seem to be Italian. The word "fecit" simply means "made it" in Latin, a common way for a workman of the old days to sign his work.

I checked Armi da Fuoco Italiane for anything like that name, but with no success. I did find several pistols with that general butt shape, all much better made than that one, and all from the Gardone region.

FWIW, my opinion is that it is old, probably 18th century, and was made as a gun, not as a souvenir. I think it was made as a cheap imitation of high quality pistols, for sale to the unsophisticated buyer who had only a general knowledge of what a well-made gun looked like and so would accept some bad engraving as indicative of quality. (Can anyone say "Saturday Night Special" in 18th Century Italian?)

Value? Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Even if it is old, age does not equate to value.

Jim
  6. nancy

nancy New Member

Thanks for your input. I think it is an interesting piece, whether it is truly old, and truly made as a usable pistol, remains to be seen. If it had any value I would have considered selling it but if it does not, I will keep it as a conversation piece.

Nancy
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, I vote for the conversation piece, as I don't think there is much market value. If you want, you might see if there is a gun show in your area and run it by some people with displays of antique guns. I wish I could be of more help, but some guns simply defy attempts at identification and evaluation.

Jim