flintlock worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kenj, Jul 1, 2012.

1. kenj

kenj New Member

Hi,is this worth a few farthings?
    thanks kenj
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Typical 'trade pistol' of early 1800s. Proabably the most prolific maker was Ketland - (English). I have owned several of them usually with 9" brass barrel, one with iron barrel. They were the entry level pistol of their time, adequate quality, few frills, low price. Do an internt search 'flintlock trade pistol' and find more info.

Value guestimate $800.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Trade they where but there where a fair few made ( from parts ) in the USA Benson that stamped NJ for the state of new jersey the most common
  5. kenj

kenj New Member

Thanks folks, here's another one hopefully worth a few pieces of eight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Interesting to look at so far but not enuf info to know what it is. If the barrel flares into an original blunderus you could have some serious value. If it's just a hacked off fowler, not a lot altho it looks like it may have been made as a short gun, based on apparent spacing of ramrod pipes, etc.. A good set of detail pix needed to eliminate speculation.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. kenj

kenj New Member

hi thanks for the response, her are some more if you need other angles let me know ,kenj:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Latest pix seem to confirm the muzzle that of a blunderbus but close-ups lack perspective for more than speculation. Take three focused and well lighted shots of the front half of the gun, one from the side, the top and the bottom. Also provide some dimensions, length of barrel, outside diameter of the muzzle and a measurement or best estimate of bore diameter about six inches back down the bore beyond the flare.

If it is confirmed to be an original unmodified blunderbus you have a piece of collector worth in the range of serious money.

An afternote, I was trading guns in Easern US 1950s-'70s. English and other fowling pieces (single barrel shotguns) were common and some entrepreneurs would shorten the barrel. flare the muzzle and try to sell to the unwary as a blunderbus. I saw several but none with the full treatment of correcting the spacings of ramrod pipes, etc.

From what I see so far, yours looks genuine.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like the muzzle is plugged. Is that just a plug to keep dirt out, or has it been deactivated by pouring lead or cement into the barrel?

Jim
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Jim, I think it's just the reflection from his flash, but a reminder that he should check to insure there's not an ancient load in there.
  11. kenj

kenj New Member

Hi, thanks for the responses. I hope these are a bit more detailed. barrel length 19 ins. mouth 1 and half inches (outer lip diameter). barrel estimate width 1 inch. kenj.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Appears you have an original flint blunderbus in rare "un-messed-around-with" condition. It should be left as-is, no cleaning or polishing. I use a good coat of paste floor wax. It is something of a rarity in that it is (mid 1700s) with iron barrel, when most had brass barrels.

I checked a couple dealer listings and found only two blunderbus, brass barrel with prices $3 to $4K. Yours might price higher but the dealer probably pays half or less than his asking price due slow demand.

All that said, a careful examination by a person knowledgable about blunderbusses is highly recommended. Finding such a person with objective interest is yet another issue.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. kenj

kenj New Member

thanks for the information very informative. Here is one more I have. I see what looks like 1862 with tower written under it. termite damage on stock . and a crown on it . thanks , kenj:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. kenj

kenj New Member