Florida court OKs force against retreating attackers

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 22WRF, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — An appellate court says Florida's "stand-your-ground" law allows the use of deadly force for self-protection even if an attacker or intruder is in retreat.
    Advertisement

A three-judge panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal issued that explanation today for ordering the release last month of a Tallahassee man who had been charged with first-degree murder.

The unanimous opinion may conflict with a 2nd District Court of Appeal decision in 2007. It denied "stand-your-ground" immunity to a Valrico resident because he shot a man who had retreated from his garage after an argument.

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Bill McCollum said no decision had yet been made on seeking a rehearing or appealing to the Florida Supreme Court.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Link? So we can follow along future reports.

Pops
  3. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

It seems that Florida becomes more "gun friendly" every year. The data shows a steady decrease in violent crime since the CCW laws were first past, and with our current officials keeping their irons in the fire, we continue to make slow, but steady progress. If only the anti's would see the positives that come with decent hard working armed people, that offset the criminal elements desire to take from us what we have. It is a great feeling to travel with your family without worrying some fool can have the upper hand in their criminal pursuits. Criminals should be the ones who fear us, not the other way around.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I see an overturn of this decision.
    As much as I'd like to agree with it, It's not right.

I don't think this is what the Castle Doctrine is all about.
    Then again, I don't know all the facts.

Let the flaming begin.:eek:
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

That's the way it works in Texas Bob.
  7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

It seems to me that in a situation where one is being attacked you would be less than likely to go through the thought process of, "the attacker is facing away, I need to stop shooting." While I think it is wrong to shoot someone in the back if they are fleeing, I'd have to say that it is more wrong to punish someone for defending their family.
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I think if they attack you and then try to run, shame on them. They just became fair game in my book.