Florida Gun Exchange

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by packetsplace, May 14, 2009.

1. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

I hate to do it, but I have to. Florida Gun Exchange in Port Orange, Fl. has insulted me. I was in their store today looking at a C&R elligble firearm which I was prepared to purchase on the spot. When I inquired about the serial number to verify C&R eligabilty, the salesperson informed me that they did not accept C&R. I asked if they accepted a 01 FFL. He replied that they did. I then asked why they would not accept a 03 C&R FFL. He did not know the answer. At this point I asked to speak with the manager. The clerk asked why I wanted to speak to him and I said I wanted to know why they would not accept a legal 03 FFL for a purchase. He went to the manager and came back with the reply that the manager had nothing more to say about the matter. I told the clerk that he just lost a sale because of their decision to treat a customer with a legal FFL this way. Now dont get me wrong, I believe in the american capitolist system. I believe that a business has every right to dictate its terms of sale. I know how the ATF can be a burden to a firearms dealer. What I dont understand is why a firearms business would lose a sale and alienate a customer over a 03 FFL. I have purchased several firearms from, and recomended this store to many of my friends. I will do so no more.
  2. sewerman

sewerman New Member

if this will make you feel better...........

i have visited the Florida Gun Excahnge once... and will never go back.

place gave me the creeps and had the air of a fancy sleazy pawn shop owned and operated by thugs/mobsters.

the days of the old fashioned mom/pop shops that was owned and operated by folks who LOVED guns, shooting & hunting are vanishing quickly.

those other guys are just there for the buck!

just my opinion .........

sewerman
  3. hd7401

hd7401 New Member

Its not Thugs, etc. Its just that they just dont give a damn. Bought two handguns from them. They are so inaccurate and instead of finding out they correct answers they just bs. People ask questions on handguns they will use in the most dire circumstances. They just want to make the sale. Final straw was a crap accessory they sold my son that didnt fit. They made such a ass out of themselves they lost a Rock River M4 sale. Never, ever will go back there. They lost a client and a collector.
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

This seems to be going on more and more everywhere, was at cabela's and was treated like a gangster. Have many handguns and just wanted to purchase a new one, guy decided I looked funny I have rather curley hair and a full beard and he told me it would take up to 3 days. I bought a Rifle the week before and it took 20 minutes to run me. Will never go there for firearms again. Over priced anyways.
  5. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Can someone explain these terms to me Canadian and don`t understand.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There are 9 types of Federal Firearms licenses (FFL's):

Type 01: Dealers
    Type 02: Pawnbrokers
    Type 03: Collector of Curios and Relics
    Type 06: Firearms Ammunition Manufacturer
    Type 07: Firearms Manufacturer
    Type 08: Importer of Firearms/Ammunition
    Type 09: Dealer in Destructive Devices
    Type 10: Manufacturer of Destructive Devices
    Type 11: Importer of Destructive Devices

pretty interesting, eh?
  7. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Thanks that helps.
  8. Gopherhill

Gopherhill New Member

As I understand there a fewer rules for the C&L license that for some of the others. The weapons (usually military rifles) have to be over a certain age. For example, some of the older German military rifles sold in US gun magazines are classified as C&R eligible. I don't understand why a gun shop would refuse to recognize the license unless the buyer was asking for some kind of discount. I don't really understand Florida law on waiting periods. I didn't think there was one for rifles. I know I bought a S&W M&P 15 22 in Orange County, Florida in October of 2009 without a waiting period.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same thing at Bass Pro Shops. You can't even shop their guns on line, they will not let you. Every time I go in to one of their stores they have a whole new team of sales people, quite a turn over, and these young men, and women know next to nothing about the fire arms that they sell. The same can be said about the other items on the floor. Pluss the prices are higher than those of your friendly neighbor hood gun store. Gun shows, and high priced stores are not the place to purchase a gun. You might have to wait for several days for these smaller stores to get the gun you want, but the price is usually worth the weight.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am no expert on firearms by any means and dont claim to be. When a customer asks me a question I dont know the answer to I say I dont know but I can find out. It would be a rare visit for someone to come in my shop and not hold guns. I attempt to get the guns into their hands as much as possible. Also, if I happen to own a gun similar to what they are interested in, I offer to let them shoot mine to help make their decision. I have customers that like to come in and just hang out for a while and I encourage that as well, as long as it doesnt interfere with another customer.
  11. adjohns3

adjohns3 New Member

THANK YOU for the explaination in such detail. I did not know all these, and YES it is interesting.
    :)
  12. Thiokol

Thiokol New Member

The rules for a C&R license are less stringent than any of the other licenses but you still must maintain a bound book of acquisitions & dispositions. The big no no is that you cannot engage in the business of buying & selling with a C&R license.

As per the BATFE, C&R items must be at least 50 years old to qualify for C&R status. Therefore, there are plenty of handguns that are C&R. There are also a lot of handguns that are less than 50 years old that are C&R. They can be found on the BATFE's website here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/
  13. Old Salt

Old Salt New Member

I guess my first experience with them several years ago must have been unusual.... it was pleasant and efficient. I bought 5 guns from Laura, drove over from the Florida west coast and had no problems.... communications were excellent, and the prices were fair. However, when I contacted Laura again a month ago, things had changed radically. After initially making telephone contact with Laura, I tried for over 3 weeks to maintain contact with her by email and telephone... to no avail....totally ignored. She finally took one of my calls to tell me that she was now to busy handling internet sales to work with me (I was looking to purchase 5-6 new hand guns for my cars, bedside tables, and concealed carry, and should have qualified for internet sales since I'm on the other side of the state). She passed me off to Brad who proceeded to quote me prices well above what the weapons were selling for in almost any shop in the country, and above what Laura had quoted me on our very first telephone conversation. I went to the Tampa Gun Show 3/6/2011, and purchased all 5 weapons for CONSIDERABLY less than Florida Gun Exchange's quoted prices, was treated with courtesy, thanked for my business, and I didn't have to drive 3.5 hours back and forth across the state. Needless to say, I will not be dealing with, or recommending, Florida Gun Exchange ever again. How on earth does an organization like that stay in business treating customers/return customers that way.
  14. railroadman

railroadman New Member

I like the Florida Gun Exchange.THEY had pistol&rifles primers for sale at a fair price.I found a RUGER OLD ARMY pre warning $350.00.a Marlin 1895S used 45/70 made in 2003 by MARLIN NOT Remington $550.00 very good.I like there used gun cost.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i've been in that store a few times.. last time i was in.. they ignored me.. and I would have bought a gun.. but couldn't get any help.

On the no 03ffl thing.. I've found MANY stores that will not deal with them. Gander being one of them.

Most pawn shops i know won't either.. though a couple will.

I think most of it is actually 'ignorance' ( ie.. don't know the rules' on the part of the 01 or 02.

That's my guess based on questions i've asked re type of gun.. age..e tc. Many of them don't care to do anything other than get the info in the bound book, and then want a 4473 to match it in a disposition record....