Florida SB 234

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Double D, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a bill that would allow concealed carry on campuses and allow open carry in fla. and a few other things. It was suppose to be introduced on the 22nd at 9:00 am, but was postponed. I am speculating that it was due to the opposition since most colleges are left wing run. Also there is a bill to prevent doctors from asking you if you own firearms. Apparently, some left wing lunatic doctors were refusing treatment to people who owned firearms. Yea, we live in a sick world. Anybody else know anything or heard anything? I am praying for this to pass.
  2. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

There's a similar bill in the works in Arizona.
    Watch that thing about Doctors asking about guns. All it takes is for one of them
    to make a little note that you might be a liitle tense, or distressed, or went through something traumatic, and you'll find yourself unable to buy firearms. We should probobly
    get behind that bill also.
  3. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

False!

See, this is exactly how these falsehoods start...
  4. Double D

Well, there are doctors that would like to see you loose your firearms rights. And having them involved cant be good at all. One lady wouldnt answer her doctor and he walked out of the room and left her and her child sitting for 30 minutes before the nurse came back and said the doctor is not coming back and for her to clear the room because they needed it.
  5. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Not discounting the story, or the example. I'm just saying that for a doc to make mention of a person feeling depressed in their record is not a catalyst for loss of firearms rights. That is not how it works.
  6. Double D

Agreed. But I do look for lawmakers to attempt to pass something in that form or fashion.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

It's already there, but the gun owner has to be adjudicated as a mental defective. I just don't think they could ever pass a law that states someone with just a mention of mental illness in there records, or someone who is prescribed a anti-depressant/anxiety medication could be barred from exercising a constitutional right. Now, that isn't to say that the BATFE couldn't "regulate" this. That seems to be the current tactic of choice. Then they slip it in late on Friday evening, and it misses the week's news cycle and is a dead story by Monday morning.
  8. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

9. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

OK Rental guy, I take your false and double double down with two articles.
    The first is by a lawyer in Washington state who advises veterans not to even seek counseling from doctors who might be able to give information to federal agencies.
    The second is Janet Napolitanos mumbled apology if you are willing to accept it.

But if you want to to trust the government to continue to maintain your constitutional rights, go right on ahead.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

11. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I am a 100%, Permanent and Total, Disabled Veteran, with a 30% rating for a "mood disorder due to a general medical condition." I have held these ratings or several years now. I also buy several guns a year, and no one has ever, EVER tried to deny me my 2A rights, because I have never been "Adjudicated as a mental defective." There is a HUGE difference in having a diagnosis, and meeting the criteria to have your rights trampled on. The lawyer that you posted is flat wrong. Having a degree and a title does not make you a expert. Having the education, and the life experience in a particular area does. That's all I'll say on that.
  12. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

You look pretty healthy in your picture. Forrest Gump type injury?
  13. Double D

Why would you be so bent on taking someone "down" as you put it. I agree that there are many ways the lefist lunatics are attempting to strip us of our freedoms. But rental is right on this one. But at the same time, I wouldnt want to give these idiots any ammunition to build a case against me. Could be in the future they attempt a grab on people with a history like rental. Just not right now.
  14. Double D

Also, no need for this kinda stuff. The man has legit physical issues.
  15. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Not that it really matters, but...

Dislocated spine at L5-S1 in 1994. Immediate paralysis of the legs. Docs were able to regain function, but it set up a reactive arthritis process which led to severe central canal stenosis, facet joint disease, and complete disc dessication from L5-S1 up to L2-L3. It's nicknamed "creeping paralysis." So far I have lost my right leg from the thigh down, with a incomplete foot drop. The left leg is starting to go numb the last few months. I also have damage to the nerves that control the bladder and bowels. Need I go on?
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I hate to hear stories like this from our Heroes, and you sir are one of our Heroes! Thank you for your service, and may God bless you, and your family!
    http://woundedwarriorproject.org/ Everyone should give something, these men, and women, have given so much, and some of them gave all!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  17. Double D

Like I said, he was out of line. NOBODY knows what your going thru unless they are there themselves. I have issues that are minimal at best in comparison, yet out of touch for someone without any. Seems like someone didnt like to be corrected. We can have disagreements without personal attacks.
  18. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I appreciate the sentiment Carver, but IMO that is a term that is bandied about too lightly. I was just doing a job, and happened to be wearing a uniform when I was injured. The term "hero" should be reserved for people like SSG Salvadore Giunta, 2LT Audie Murhy, SGT Alvin York, et. al. All of these men knew the risk to their own lives, but committed their actions anyway. That is what makes a true hero.

DD, benefit of the doubt to jbmid1. Perhaps it was a legitimate question on his part. It's not the first time I've gotten that. Had some old man shout at me for parking in a handicap spot at Wal Mart once. I pointed to my disabled veteran plates, and he told me I was too young to be 100% P&T. I sat back down, took off my carbon fiber orthotic that keeps me from dragging my foot on the ground, and threw it at him. He shut up after that...
  19. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

My apologies rentalguy. Thanks for filling me in. That's somehing I would not wish on anyone. Hope you're getting the best care possible. And I hope you never lose the right, or the ability to do what you enjoy.