fn 1905 pocket pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by smirnus3000, Jul 3, 2011.

1. smirnus3000

smirnus3000 New Member

I just picked this up as my first purchase with mr C and R and I'm having trouble finding more info about it. From what I was able to find out its a 1st variant fn 1905, serial number 145xxx. I would love some more info on this, manufacture date, and of coarse value if possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    [​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and Welcome to the forum !

Nice start!

the experts on these will be around to help , i've had a couple baby brownings but am no expert.
  3. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Based on the photograph that you provided, your gun appears refinished.
    Value: $150 if refinished.
    $300 if original
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those are almost identical to the Colt Vest Pocket model that collectors call the Model 1908, and many parts of the earlier guns will interchange. Both guns are highly reliable, but the lack of a manual safety may make it less desireable for carry.

As noted, it is the first variant, without the thumb safety. The second variant has a safety combined with a slide stop, but in a different (and IMHO, better) arrangement than in the Colt. Well over a million of those guns were made and sold all over the world, except in the U.S., which is why they are uncommon here. That was due to an agreement between FN and Colt, by which they divided up the market - Colt got the Western Hemisphere, FN got Europe and the Middle East. The Far East was up for grabs. The result was that FN Browning pistols were not sold in the U.S. until well after WWII, when the agreement ended.

That pistol looks to be not only polished down but plated (chrome or nickel) as well. $150 seems about right.

Jim