FN-49 Survey - Attention FN-49 Owners - Need Help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Goose52
    (3/14/02 3:47:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All FN-49 Survey - Attention FN-49 Owners - Need Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi - I just found your Board and it looks like there are some FN-49 owners here. I have been running several FN-49 surveys on the Parallax, Tuco/Gunboards, and FAL Files Boards for several months. I now have data for 289 rifles in my data base. We have learned a lot about the FN-49 as a result of Board member's contributions.

I would appreciate it if all FN-49 owners on this Board would participate in this survey. The more rifles in the data base . . . the more we learn. The survey questions are posted below. You may post your results on this thread, or if your prefer, you may email me direct at fn49fan@earthlink.net.

Due to low traffic, I am going to discontinue monitoring this thread. If anyone would like to participate in this survey, you may email me direct at fn49fan@earthlink.net - thanks - Goose out.

If you are interested in the survey results to date, here are the links to the results threads over on the Parallax Board. Parallax is part of the "EZ-Board" family and your current IDs will work over there. Due to Board limitations concerning maximum size of a post, I had to split the survey results post into 2 threads:
    Egyptian/Venezuelan/Argentine Contract Rifles:
    pub42.ezboard.com/fparall...=780.topic
    All FN-49s in 30-06 Chambering:
    pub42.ezboard.com/fparall...=781.topic

OK - Here's the survey:

SURVEY QUESTIONS:

Notes:

I only capture serial numbers down to a block of 100 numbers (i.e., 99XX) and I DO NOT retain any actual names or Board names/nicknames with the data. This limits the fidelity of the data, but protects everyone's privacy. Please replace the last 2 numbers of your serial number with "XXs" unless your serial number is 3 digits or less - then use one "X."

The "scope cut" is a very shallow female dovetail, .5" in height, that runs along the left receiver rail. The upper part of the dovetail is visible - the lower end of the dovetail is usually at or slightly below the stock.

Egyptian Contract (8x57 chambering - 7.92x57 for you purists):

Serial Number
    Receiver ring crest (crown or eagle)?
    Have scope cut on left receiver rail?
    Have a middle sling swivel located about 2" in front of the magazine?
    Have a reinforcing crossbolt in the stock?

Optional question: Is the bolt machined to take a firing pin safety stop? (This machining is in the top of the bolt and is milled down into the firing pin channel on the aft end of the bolt). If so, does the bolt serial number match the receiver serial number?

Venezuelan Contract (7x57 chambering):

Serial number
    Have a circular "Fuerzas Armadas Venezuela" cartouche on the right side of the buttstock?
    Does the rear guard screw (behind trigger guard) have a small lock screw?
    Optional question: Have a 2-piece or 1-piece handguard? (requires loosening the lower band in order to wiggle the handguards to find out)

Note: It's generally accepted that all Venezuelans had the scope cut and muzzle brake so I am not surveying for that data.

Argentine Contract (7.62x51 chambering w/detachable box magazine):

Serial number
    Have scope cut on the left receiver rail?
    Have an "ARA" cartouche on the buttstock? On left side or right side?

Note: If you have an Argentine in the original 7.65 chambering, please feel free to share your good fortune with the rest of us!

30-06 RIFLES

Which Contract? (check receiver ring marking - see legend below)
    Have scope cut on the left receiver rail?
    Which buttplate? (stamped steel w/trap OR ridged steel with no trap OR, for Colombian rifles only, a rubber pad?)
    Have a reinforcing crossbolt in the stock?

Receiver ring legend:

"AL" = Luxembourg
    "ABL" = Belgian
    Columbia has National Crest
    "FP" & Lion = Congo
    "ALRI"/"ADRI"/"AURI" = Indonesia
    Brazil = unknown - probably National Crest

That's it. Thanks in advance to all contributors. As you can see from the above links to the Parallax Board, I commit to providing a report of the survey results!

Thanks,

Goose

Edited by: Goose52 at: 4/1/02 2:19:35 pm

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/14/02 10:04:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: FN-49 Survey - Attention FN-49 Owners - Need Help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe this weekend I will have an opportunity to compile some data for you. I have: 1 Columbian, 1 Luxembourg, 4 Venezualans, and 2 Egyptians.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Goose52
    (3/15/02 12:26:10 am)
    BiSL - Thanks - the more the merrier. If you get a chance - head over to Parallax to catch up on what we've found so far.

Goose

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 8:49:32 pm)
    OK Goose, here's the poop:

1) Egyptian, serial #307XX
    Crown Crest
    scope rail cut on left side
    no middle sling swivel
    no cross bolt

2) Egyptian, serial #139XX
    No scope rail cut
    no middle sling swivel
    no cross bolt

3) Venezualan, serial #60XX
    inset blank bronze disk on right side of stock
    No lock screw on rear trigger guard screw
    2 piece top handguard

4) Venezualan, serial #51XX
    cartouche on right side of stock
    Yes - lock screw on rear trigger guard screw
    1 piece top handguard

5) Venezualan, serial #11XX
    no cartouche (stock appears refinished)
    no lock screw on rear trigger guard screw
    1 piece top handguard

6) Venezualan, serial #12XX
    no cartouche, but the serial number (same as gun) is stamped on right side of stock
    no lock screw on rear trigger guard screw
    1 piece top handguard

7) Columbian, serial #051X
    scope rail cut on left - yes
    rubber buttpad
    crossbolt in stock - yes

Luxembourg, serial #19XX
    scope rail cut - no
    stamp steel butt plate with trap door
    no crossbolt.

Hope this helps!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Edited by: Bob In St Louis at: 3/17/02 8:55:04 pm

Goose52
    (3/17/02 9:30:59 pm)
    BiSL: OUTSTANDING! Thanks

Nearly all of your data looks pretty good and you've taken me from 251 rifles up to 259 rifles in the data base.

I don't know if you had a chance to review the survey summary over on the FAL Board yet, but the data has revealed two distinct variants of the Vennies with the split occurring right around SerNo 4000. The data is showing that all Vennies below that number have a stock with no cartouche, no lock screw on the rear guard screw, and 1-pc handguard. Above that number, you have the FAV cartouche, the rear lock screw, and 2-pc handguards. This is based on data from more than 45 rifles with only 2 anomalies.

So, not that it means much in the big scheme of things, but you've got a bit of a variance on 2 of your Vennies:

#51XX probably left the FN factory with a 2-pc handguard otherwise it sound OK.

On your 60XX, there are no reports of Vennies with any inletted disks on the stock and so far those have only been observed on Egyptians. Do you have any knowledge of the history of this rifle? Is it possible that a previous owner fitted this rifle with an Egyptian stock? Also on 60XX, this is probably a replacement trigger housing to match the stock as it should have the rear lock screw (so far, the data is showing that the Egyptians and the 1st 4000 Vennies are the only FN-49s that did NOT have the rear lock screw).

Overall, sounds like a GREAT collection. Thanks for the help!

Goose

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 10:46:55 pm)
    Goose, here is the data on the 2 that I have.

Luxembourg, serial #196X
    no scope rail cut
    stamp steel butt plate with trap door
    no crossbolt
    all numbered parts match
    the only stock marking is a circular mark just forward of the mag, thin not ledgible, W/2 piece top handgard
    finish is blued
    threaded muzzle with thread protector

Egyptian, serial #D109xx
    scope rail cut - yes
    Century Wizzo replacement stock with plastique buttplate
    all numbered parts match
    finish is black paint
    threaded muzzle with thread protector

dozvedaniya

Goose52
    (3/18/02 12:59:17 am)
    Moskovskyya:

THANKS! On your Egyptian, your receiver ring crest should be an Eagle . . . can you confirm that for me?

Otherwise, everything sounds pretty good. The cartouche just forward of the magazine on your Luxie is the standard FN cartouche that is usually applied to that area.

On your blued Luxie, I think I saw an earlier post on this Board where you guys were discussing what the original finish was on these rifles. It's generally accepted that all FN-49s left FN with black enamel over parkerizing.

I have read one eyewitness report of a blued rifle being seen in a Belgian armory (along with some gray-painted rifles in addition to the typical black). Also, the Poyer FN-49 book has an entry concerning reports of some Luxies that were highly polished and blued . . . BUT, by and large, nearly all of these rifles were painted black. No telling what has happened to any one particular rifle over the last 50 years. Also, all of the Luxies were imported prior to GCA '68 so no telling what a previous owner may have done over the past 34 years or so!

Anyway, thanks for the info - you just put me up to around 262 rifles

Goose

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/02 10:26:10 am)

Quote:
    THANKS! On your Egyptian, your receiver ring crest should be an Eagle . . . can you confirm that for me?

sorry, I left that out, it is an eagle.

Goose52
    (3/18/02 10:54:36 am)
    Thanks for the info - I'll plug the Eagle crest into the data base.

Goose

Goose52
    (4/1/02 2:15:46 pm)
    Due to low traffic, I am going to discontinue monitoring this thread. If anyone would like to participate in this survey, you may email me direct at fn49fan@earthlink.net.

My thanks to Bob in St. Louis and to Moskovskyya for your participation.

Goose out.