FN Browning Safari Mauser action

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by plattski, Dec 23, 2006.

1. plattski

plattski New Member

I'm curious what a guy should expect to pay for a early sixties FN Browning Safari on a Mauser action, in .308. Call it good condition with some blemishes on stock finish and blueing, no rust, no salt. Also, what do you all think of these rifles? What should I watch out for? Thanks for any help you can offer.
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

I wonder if this is a SAKO action? Usually the short actions were SAKO.

I don't know if the SAKO's were salt wood or not. Salt was part of the equation from about 1967 (?) through 1974.

If it is early 60's, and you really want it, how much would you pay? It's not like these are in every gunshop in town.
    Mark
  3. plattski

plattski New Member

I'm looking for a FN .308 on the Mauser action. That said, how would you pros rate the Mauser vs. the Sako in .308? Since I intend to use in the field for deer and elk I don't want to buy a fine collector rifle. I understand the early .308s are a little harder to come by (esp the Mausers) so I expect the price could be pretty high but I can only go up to about $1000 for a hunter. Is that reasonable or will these rifles fetch a higher price? As you say, these don't show up in my local shops too often. Thanks for any thoughts.
  4. nevadany

nevadany New Member

plattski,

don't know if your interested, but i have a Western Field mauser 98 that is built on the FN 98 action (same action as the Browning), that i have been thinking of getting rid of. It is chambered in .308. the metal finish is alright (most of the blueing is there, but there are some dings here and there). The bore is excellent, looks new. it has a Lyman banded front sight, the post is dovetailed in. The rear sight says "Lyman 98" on it. it looks simmilar to the 48series.

I bought Warne Maxima steel bases and a new boyds JRS laminate stock for it. I fit the stock and tried to bed it, but i have to redo it because the release agent didn't work that well and some of the bedding chipped off when i pulled the action out of the stock. I havent finished the stock yet either.

PM me if any interest or any questions

DW