FN Five-seveN opinions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lslubecki, Jan 30, 2008.

1. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

I just bought a FN5.7 pistol. It is crazy light for a full size gun. Shoots the 5.7x28 at 2150 fps out of a 5" barrel. Looks like a mini .223 and can be reloaded with .224 from 28 gr to 55 gr fmj's. Supposed to be very accurate. Any thoughts or comments. I have ammo on the way but haven't shot it yet. Most expensive pistol I have ever bought. Got it for $840 delivered. Factory 20 round mag with a 10 rnd extension available.

Steve
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I wanted one, but $899 + 8.5-10% sales tax made me think, otherwise. I do hear it's a great gun, very accurate and the ammo is "safe", as in it'll hit a man but stop in Sheetrock/wallboard so you won't accidentally shoot your neighbor next door (word of mouth, never tried it).
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I think it's a nifty concept, but it's not nifty enough for $800+. I read where NJ is already considering, or has already banned the pistol... Those politicians up there need to get a life.
  4. patrol

patrol New Member

I have shot one and it definately is an ultra modern futuristic concept for a pistol. Shoots screaming hot ammo from a light pistol that has absolutely no recoil (just loud) and shoots 20 plus 1 rounds. I was thinking of getting one but was going to wait and see if price dropped on them. The ammo for L.E. and military will defeat body armor incase you get a crook that resembles that LA Bank robbery but I have a cheap taurus tracker 17HMR that will defeat body armor at half the price. FN makes quality stuff and has been making guns for the military for many years to include colts M16A2's and various machineguns. My dream gun I want one day is the FN 2000.
  5. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

"I think it's a nifty concept, but it's not nifty enough for $800+. I read where NJ is already considering, or has already banned the pistol... Those politicians up there need to get a life."

Thats exactly why I bought it. The SS190 L.E. ammo is already banned and going for $350.00 a box of 50 on *********. Another box went for 250+. Once the gun is banned I fugure it will double in value. The story I hear is it will be banned in a year.
  6. sarzak

sarzak New Member

i think you will be very pleased with this pistol. the only downside is the ammo is pricey so you are limited in the amount of training you can do, its just too expensive. the upside is you can shoot about as accurately as a 22 pistol because of the low recoil and i have a feeling of confidence knowing i get 20 cracks at it. this is the only pistol i carry when carrying a full size. i hope the caliber catches on someday so we have more ammo options, but i doubt it will happen
  7. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

Three of us went in on 4000 rounds through an online auction 1380.00 delivered. That should hold us. I also am goung to get reloading dies the keep the spsent brass full. I shot it at the range this weekend. It was six degrees with a 20 mph wind and at 30 yards was hitting standard target paper and three of 20 were within the black. I was happy. Very little recoil. Light and fun to shoot. Hopefully the weather will warm and the wind will stop. That along with the ice and snow melting.

Steve
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its a cute toy, maybe ill get me 1 someday.
  9. merrill

merrill New Member

Thats exactly why I bought it. The SS190 L.E. ammo is already banned and going for $350.00 a box of 50 on *********. Another box went for 250+. Once the gun is banned I fugure it will double in value. The story I hear is it will be banned in a year.

lslubecki New Member

No. The SS190 is AP and banned from importation now. Only what is here is it. One box of 50 actualy went for over 500.00 and on another auction site a single bullet is going for 10.00 each. Crazy!

Steve
  11. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I wouldn't mind one if the prices weren't so high but I can't justify paying around $1,000 for one when there are other guns I like as much or more for 1/2 the price.
  12. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Go to Ammoman.com on line. $450 - 1000rds, $850 - 2000rds., delivered, no extra for shipping. Probably wont ship to some states though. Call or e-mail to find out.
  13. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Another old thread back from the dead.
  14. muddober

muddober Active Member

The cartridge will only make those 2100+ fps with with 28 grain bullets which will shoot through a "steel" car bumper. If you stop and think about it a 40 grian bullet is almost 43% heavior than the 28 grain causing the velocity to drop off by about 400 fps. In my opinion the penetration is way to much to be a good defense round and the cartridge was really designed to defeat soft armor. The gun works on a straight blow back and the action is really not locked when the gun is fired making the cases look very funny to the point they will not even begin to go back in the gun without resizing. This brings an new problem if one reloads because the cases will only last about 3 re-loadings before they work harden to the point of being dangerous. The FN 5.7 is a very specialized gun and while fun to experiment with, it is not in my opinion a very practical pistol for guy who needs a good defense gun.

On the plus side the two I shot functioned perfect, both had decent trigger pull, very fast return to target because of low recoil and reasonably accurate.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Somewhere I read that it was the gun that Fort Hood Muslamy used. Not sure it was true though. I will have to see if I can find it where I saw it.
  16. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I shot one last year. I had read that it was a $200 gun (poor fit and finish) selling for $900. The one I shot looked and shot well enough, but I thought it was still over priced. The only thing I did not like was the heavy trigger. I will buy one in the future if I can find it at a decent price. I will also make a silencer for it.

Ranb
  17. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would suggest you abandon your silencer building idea because it could fetch you many years in a federal prison.

Ron
  18. cakes

cakes New Member

Of course, making a silencer is legal, but subsonic ammo for the 5.7 defeats the purpose of it in my eyes.
  19. muddober

muddober Active Member

cakes, making a silencer is NOT legal.:)

Ron
  20. cakes

cakes New Member

It is in Maine. I don't know where you live. Request a Form 1 at ATF.gov.