FN Five-seveN opinions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lslubecki, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

I do not know where you live, but in the USA, silencers are not banned. Unlicensed ciilians can own them in 37 of the states. While there is a $200 tax to be paid and ATF authorization to be obtained, it is a routine matter and I have never heard of anyone being denied as long as they filled out the paperwork properly.

I make silencers as a hobby and resent it when anyone tells me that my hobby is illegal, especially a person on a gun forum who claims to be a gun owner. If you want to convince people that firearms are are banned at the federal level and not have a good reason for your stupid ideas, then perhaps you should do it at some other forum.

Your suggestion was just plain rude. Where do you get your ideas anyway? Ever think of looking at the law sometime? I'll not be giving up my hobby for a while, and it certainly will not be because of people like you.

Ranb
  2. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Subsonic loads in the 5.7 is not something I plan on trying. :)

Ranb
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Mine came with three 20 round mags. It is a very accurate pistol and it is fun to shoot. I do believe that you will really love the pistol, it is extremely light and very controllable with the 5.7X28 round. I liked the round so much that I bought a custom barrel for my Thompson Contender.

I also reload the 5.7X28 but I don't shoot the reloads in the FiveseveN or the PS-90. The reloads would jam every few shots. I use the reloads in the Contender only. It also is not the easiest cartridge to reload, I had a lot of problems getting the depriming/resizing die set up right. RCBS was very helpful when I called them about the problems I was having.

After I got the die set up correctly, I did a little experiment with the load. I wanted to see how many times I could reload the brass. I took two rounds and and fired them, reloaded those two rounds, fired them again, and reloaded them again, and so on. I reloaded those two pieces of brass eleven times before I got tired of the game and quit, so I can tell you that you can get at least ten reloads from the brass without any problems, at least I did.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

Hey slow down there Ranb. You did not qualify your statement when you wrote of making silencers that you were set up to pay and understood the $200.00 tax issue. I would also suggest that you look over some of my 700 + post here before you run off at your key board suggesting I have stupid ideas. I am at home tonight and don't have access to my book on Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, but I will provide you that section tomorrow when I get to my office. My memory is that it is Title 18 section 921 which provides it is a federal offense to manufacture, own or offer for sale or even have any parts to make a silencer, all of which your post implied to me you were doing illegally. I was trying to caution you and not scold you. Also federal law was recently amended to raise the punishment for having an unlicensed silencer from 5 years in prison to 10 years. Which by the way as provided by the sentencing guidelines rules that came into effect on November 1, 1987, eliminated parole in the federal prison system, meaning that anyone sentenced to to ten years only gets 42 days per year knocked off their sentence causing a person getting a ten year stretch to do about 8.5 years of that 10 year sentence. In the old days prior to 1987, one only did about a third of their time and then were paroled. Because of the sentencing guidlines rules, America now has 25% of the entire world's prison population in its jails. When one considers there are about 6 billion people on the planet and only 5% of those live in the US, one does not have to be a rocket scientest to realize that our government is preditory against us citizens. Again I was merely trying to warn you, so you not be one of them.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Blah blah blah. Why should I have to qualify my statement? Do you warn people not to drive on the road or get married because it is illegal to do so without getting a license? Probably not. So why would you be so rude as to assume that I would break the law when it comes to making a silencer? No one likes a jerk.

Even after another forum member told you silencers were legal in this thread, you continued to insist that they were not. What kind of crap is that? Obtaining ATF authorization for buying or making a silencer is very easy for those of us who live in one of the 37 states that do not ban them. I have never heard of anyone who was denied authorization after properly submitting the forms, have you?

How can a person post over 700 times on this forum (which has a section for title 2 weapons) without getting a clue that silencers are legal in the USA? If you really were trying to caution me, then you would have asked me to ensure I submit ATF form 1 to the BATFE before building a silencer. Because you did not, you are just another person who discourages gun ownership. That is unacceptable behavior here in my opinion.

Ranb
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Ranb: You must keep in mind this is only post of yours I knew of when I wrote: " I would suggest you abandon your silencer building idea because it could fetch you many years in a federal prison". To me your post came off as some idiot trying to build a silencer for an FN 5-7 and all I was trying to do is warn you because are jails are full of mostly idiots. I never suggested that silencers are banned but now I do suggest that a person like you with the reasoning power of an ant and the temper of a scorned woman should not even be allowed to own gun.

As for the making silencers without a license from the feds (which again your post implied to me) for those who read this and care, they are defined as "firearms" in Title 18 section 921, so my memory was correct. Then again at Title 26 section 5845 at (a)(7) states any silencer (as defined in Title 18 section 921) which section includes even parts for silencers and (i) defines the term "make". Then at Title 26 section 5871 Penalties; provides for a term of not more than 10 years and or a fine of not more than $10,000.00.

I know to you this is just blah, blah, blah probably because you can't comprehend reading such a complicated body of law.

I will no longer waist my time engaging with you. I looked up the law for you as you suggested I do and posted it because I promised I would. but I just could not help myself putting a jerk like you in your place at the same time.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest

Muddober, you are wrong again as you have been very consistently through this thread. While the law you quote is correct, it does not actually say that silencers are illegal in the USA as you claimed in post #19 above. You are lying by omission, a very stupid thing to do here on a gun forum where people like me make silencers as a hobby without a license but instead use the ATF form 1 to get ATF authorization to do so.

Just because I say I want to make a silencer does not make me an idiot. You are the idiot for saying that making a silencer is illegal.

I am done derailing this thread by defending my rights as American to make title 2 weapons without a license. Go back to whatever hole you crawled out. On your way there, take a look at this thread that I made just for you. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=73697 On it I explain how a person goes about obtaining ATF approval to make silencers without a license. It is very simple.

For the rest of the people reading this, I apologize for helping derail the thread and rant about my rights as an American. I should have just responded to Muddober’s insults in another thread right away instead of letting him (and myself) ruin this one.

Ranb
  8. InfiniteArms

InfiniteArms New Member

I know i do not visit here often and heck most of you probably don't even know me but i have to say i am embarrassed at the name calling, complete misunderstanding of the federal gun laws, and that this thread had to be pointed out to me by a customer who knows I host the site. I don't care to side with either of you but want to clarify the matter for the members and those that may find this thread using google.

Let me try this without any name calling and with some authority as a 07/SOT FFL having sold and advised on NFA for years (tho i am no expert this is just pure basics).

It is LEGAL for any citizen of the USA who lives in one of the 3X states that allow suppressors to personally manufacture one after receiving an approved Form 1 from the ATF. This is also true of ALL NFA firearms/items EXCEPT machine guns, including Short Barreled Rifles (SBR), Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS), Destructive Devices (DD), and Any Other Weapons (AOW).

The USC that were quoted do set the penalties for ILLEGAL manufacture of a suppressor but in no way states that personal manufacture of a suppressors is illegal.

Here are a few other USC sections that were not quoted:

USC Title 26 Section 5822
    No person shall make a firearm (USC definition of includes suppressor as someone pointed out) unless he has
    (a) filed with the Secretary a written application, in duplicate, to make and register the firearm on the form prescribed by the Secretary;
    (b) paid any tax payable on the making and such payment is evidenced by the proper stamp affixed to the original application form;
    (c) identified the firearm to be made in the application form in such manner as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe;
    (d) identified himself in the application form in such manner as the Secretary may by regulations prescribe, except that, if such person is an individual, the identification must include his fingerprints and his photograph; and
    (e) obtained the approval of the Secretary to make and register the firearm and the application form shows such approval. Applications shall be denied if the making or possession of the firearm would place the person making the firearm in violation of law.

USC 26 section 5845 defines a manufacture as follows (note the bold section):

(m) Manufacturer
    The term “manufacturer” means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms.

I strongly suggest anyone with a real interest in NFA start by reading James Bardwell's NFA FAQ and then post any questions on a forum dedicated to the NFA hobby such as http://www.subguns.com or http://www.sturmgewehr.com/
  9. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

FN did something about it alright,The 5 7 is over $1000 and the FN on the same frame in 9MM is about $ 450 or so .Just came from the Gun Show today and wanted a 5 7 ,but not for $500 more for a different chamber .What a rip off
  10. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

Also to silence a pistol properly ,you must use subsonic ammo .A silencer that may do something for the 5 7 might be twice the lenght of the pistol,if not more
  11. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

The 5 7 is $1000 ,yet they have another gun on the same frame in 9MM it costs about
    $459 . Why?
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ah, supply, demand and good ole greed. That about sums it up; of course FN will claim that it is "development costs" and "set-up expenses". They developed the 5.7 and there's not much competition for the 5.7 right now. FN is the only readily available platform for the time being. ( I know that Savage is working on a 5.7 rifle, but not sure if it's out yet or not )
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think it's a good gun to be honest. A lot of people like FNH's pistols. I saw a guy at the range the other day who just bought one.

I do think they get a lot of "hype" because there are varieties of it's 5.7mm round that are armor-piercing. Although not just anybody can go and buy that.

HK had some gun they made that has a small round like that too. I can't think of if it's the MP7 or what the name of it is.

And alot of that "hype" is what makes idiot politicians ban the pistol. It's not like you can just walk into a gun shop and buy armor piercing ammo without the right paperwork, etc. And you can make a bullet armor piercing I thought by simply spraying it with teflon.

And aren't there some pistol rounds that can penetrate light armor? I thought 7.62x25 Tokarev was one. Also thought .38 Super could do it too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing that turns me off about it is that I don't like the look of the gun. Idk it just doesn't appeal to me. It is also very expensive. And a small round like that can't have a whole lot of stopping power. I mean stopping power as in energy transfer. It seems like a small, hot round and so I would be concerned about over penetrating my target. Whereas something like .45 Auto spends all its energy right away. Big, slow and heavy -- hence over penetration is much less of a concern.

But hey, to each his own. This is your gun and if you let everybody else tell you what to get then you're shooting someone else's gun.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think most of it is "hype." And I don't mean that in a bad way. The 5 7 has a reputation because some people think you can go buy armor-piercing ammo for it. I am pretty sure buying armor piercing ammo is next to impossible without a good reason and the proper legal documentation/fees and jumping through the hoops.

I honestly think some of FNH's other pistols are just as good for what you pay if not a better deal. Like you say, you can go buy the same brand gun built for 9mm for less than half the cost.
  15. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

I've heard rumors of other 5.7 pistols being worked on.

I would jump on the chance to pick one up but only if the price was $700 or less. When I think about spending close to a thousand on a fun range gun. I start thinking about getting another 1911. I'm hoping that once there is some competition the price of the FN 5.7 will come down.