FN Five-seveN opinions

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lslubecki, Jan 30, 2008.

1. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

The 5 7 is $1000 ,yet they have another gun on the same frame in 9MM it costs about
    $459 . Why?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ah, supply, demand and good ole greed. That about sums it up; of course FN will claim that it is "development costs" and "set-up expenses". They developed the 5.7 and there's not much competition for the 5.7 right now. FN is the only readily available platform for the time being. ( I know that Savage is working on a 5.7 rifle, but not sure if it's out yet or not )
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think it's a good gun to be honest. A lot of people like FNH's pistols. I saw a guy at the range the other day who just bought one.

I do think they get a lot of "hype" because there are varieties of it's 5.7mm round that are armor-piercing. Although not just anybody can go and buy that.

HK had some gun they made that has a small round like that too. I can't think of if it's the MP7 or what the name of it is.

And alot of that "hype" is what makes idiot politicians ban the pistol. It's not like you can just walk into a gun shop and buy armor piercing ammo without the right paperwork, etc. And you can make a bullet armor piercing I thought by simply spraying it with teflon.

And aren't there some pistol rounds that can penetrate light armor? I thought 7.62x25 Tokarev was one. Also thought .38 Super could do it too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing that turns me off about it is that I don't like the look of the gun. Idk it just doesn't appeal to me. It is also very expensive. And a small round like that can't have a whole lot of stopping power. I mean stopping power as in energy transfer. It seems like a small, hot round and so I would be concerned about over penetrating my target. Whereas something like .45 Auto spends all its energy right away. Big, slow and heavy -- hence over penetration is much less of a concern.

But hey, to each his own. This is your gun and if you let everybody else tell you what to get then you're shooting someone else's gun.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I think most of it is "hype." And I don't mean that in a bad way. The 5 7 has a reputation because some people think you can go buy armor-piercing ammo for it. I am pretty sure buying armor piercing ammo is next to impossible without a good reason and the proper legal documentation/fees and jumping through the hoops.

I honestly think some of FNH's other pistols are just as good for what you pay if not a better deal. Like you say, you can go buy the same brand gun built for 9mm for less than half the cost.
  5. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

I've heard rumors of other 5.7 pistols being worked on.

I would jump on the chance to pick one up but only if the price was $700 or less. When I think about spending close to a thousand on a fun range gun. I start thinking about getting another 1911. I'm hoping that once there is some competition the price of the FN 5.7 will come down.