FN model 1905 (1906) "baby" Browning trigger style

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vlad0002, Oct 17, 2009.

1. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Hello,

I recently bought a "baby" FN model -- model 1906, Browning patent. It' is a second variation, with the safety on the side. 90%+ blue, nice. However, I just noticed that the trigger is of first variation style, without the front raised part. I searched for pictures of the first and second variations and second one was always shown with a different trigger. Except on one black and white old picture, where the 1905/06 2-nd variation is shown with that old style trigger. The question is: is that a legitimate variation? After all, FN switched to this variation at ~ # 180,000, and the gun is # 23253X. Or shall I be concerned?

Paid $300 for the gun. Is it an ok deal?

The pictures are in the following order:

1. My gun
    2. Usual model 1905, 2-nd variation
    3. Picture of a gun like mine, with the older trigger style.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Going by that ad, what you have isn't a Baby. Baby has a different frame, and no grip safety.

Buuut - are you worried that the collector value is hosed, because it has the wrong trigger? Or worried that the trigger has been replaced and might not be installed correctly, so the gun might either not fire, or go full-auto?

The picture in the ad, of the top gun, shows that trigger on a gun that appears to be the same as yours. I don't know about Browning, per se, but many gun makers would have parts still in stock, when they decided to make a model change. "Okay, starting with SN 2000, we will use the new trigger." Then, 500 guns later, someone discovers fifty of the old-style triggers in the parts bin. What are they going to do? Throw them away? Heck no. They put them guns. They weren't worried about what collectors would think, 70 years from now. They were worried about, "Will the gun shoot?". These are usually called "transition guns". Officially the company didn't do that anymore, but there were still old-style parts that needed to be used up.
  3. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks for the reply, Alpo.

My concern is mostly about the collectors value. I understand the triggers on those model variations are interchangeable (correct me someone, if I'm wrong). That's why I was wondering if the 2-nd variation guns with that style trigger was a known (by Browning/FN collectors) phenomena. That would mean that I did not overpay, and this is not just a gun on which a broken trigger was replaced by an incorrect one. This is very unlikely, going by the gun's overall condition (unless it was reblued, which seller claims it was not). Nowhere in the literature I went through did I find mentioning of this oddity. However, the ad that I found (top gun) that shows same style trigger on the newer model, is encouraging. That would be great if I get a confirmation if this -- I just love having a gun with an added "twist" to it's story.

And, you are correct, this is not the later "Baby" model. It was often refered as "baby" before the actual "Baby" came out in the 30s.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Just checking if anybody has an opinion on this -- I'm running out of time to ask for my money back, if this turns out to be a collector's value affecting irregularity.

Thanks.

Vlad
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe as Alpo posted, it also will have no bearing on the collectibility or value.
  6. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks, RJay, I'm glad to hear this. Blue book lists this for $275 for 90%, so $300 including shipping is an ok deal, I guess?

Vlad
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah. Blue Book is always gonna be undervalue. Book is a least a year old when it finally gets printed.
  8. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

The picture you've shown is actually an FN Browning Third Variant (larger safety lever, safety notch and second takedown notch).

I have one which I bought a few weeks ago, worked on a bit to get it running; and will try to get a picture posted soon.

Take care,

Rick
  9. xotech

xotech New Member