FN small ring mauser help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JLA, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have an FN small ring mauser barreled action (cocks on closing) that I need a stock for.

Action screws measure 7 1/16" center to center and the magazine is a single stack set up.

Its chambered for the .300 savage.

Does anyone have any leads on where i might find a stock for it?
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

The first place I would look is Stocky's, then on the Boyd's, then to Bell and Carlson, and then to Calico Hardwoods. Put rifle stocks into your internet search engine, and several more than these mentioned will come up also. Brownells and Midway are a couple of other places you could look also.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Boyds is Backordered in small ring solid wood ,,,try Richards,,,I have a Boyds and I can,t complain
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Boyds doesnt list anything with the spacing i need for the action screws. This is a commercial mauser action and is a 1/4 inch shorter than the shortest small ring stock Boyds offers.

Im half ass tempted to just order a small ring and do a little wood work to get it to fit. But im afraid it wont be something i can easily cover
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know if Boyds and the others offer custom stocks or not, but at one time stock makers did. It might be worth a call or e-mail to see if they would sell you a small ring stock partly inletted for the barrel and action but not inletted for the bottom metal or the recoil lug.

Jim
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im afraid thats what im up against Jim. Problem i have is the customer doesnt want to spend a bunch of money on this one. So I aint touching it if I aint got to. Ill dig around a little more but I may have to call him and see if he wants to take on the cost of having a stock custom fit to it.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Boyds does make a small ring stock but the inletting on them is excessive. I bought on and had to bed the whole action just to make it look decent.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

double post
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Im going to try Richards for my next stock,,Iv,e got a Small ring Mex Mauser ,,re-barrel and I think they do Mods ,,,I like Boyds but they only offer 1 type of wood for solid Stocks,,,Richards has more wood types and styles
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

link to Richards please sir..
  11. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Usual reference to a small ring refers to a SR Mdl.98 Mauser. The Mdl. 98 Mausers all cock on openning regardless of ring demension. The Mauser Mdls. 95,96 etc. cock on closing but also require a much smaller stock bed.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and thats what im up against.
  13. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Google,,,Richards Microfit Gun stocks,,,,,I believe you can ship them your action and they will fit it for ou,,,,don,t know what the charge is
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks FF!
  15. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Let us know how you make out