FNG from AZ saying hi because I will be asking questions on reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LizardLouie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. LizardLouie

LizardLouie New Member

Hi all, names Louie and just joined this site. I'm going to be getting into reloading pretty soon, like as soon as the stuff gets here, and wanted to introduce myself. My dad was into hunting/shooting and taught me how to shoot. Towards the end of last year he got into reloading because he complained the dang govt. was going to make a bullet cost more than the gun. Well he bought a Lee load master with I think just about every thing you get to go with it, all the dies and stuff for 45 ACP/44 Mag/9mm. He just passed away about 2 weeks ago and therefore I have gained all his stuff and really have no clue what to do with it. There's a Lee reloading manual in all the stuff that's on it way to where I'm stationed in Tucson, AZ. I'm active Air Force by the way. My dad was a 1911 and revolver guy, myself I'm a semi-pistol guy. Right now I have a 44 mag desert eagle and several different 45's/40's/9mm. But anyway, hope to learn alot from you guys and maybe eventually contribute back to some FNG's.

Thanks.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome, FNG Louie!

TFF is where I learned to handload, well partially, I did have a couple old timers who helped me quite a bit too, but I hated to bug them all the time so I was on here a bit asking questions.

The first thing everyone is going to say (for good reason) is to read the manual front and back before setting up, then buy another one for cross reference. Sorry to hear about your dad. :(

There are a lot of competent handloaders here and they all LOVE questions.

Thank you for your service, Sir!

Crpdeth
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Hey Louie, what's your job in the AF?

You have the Lee manual, so you'll be safe if you do things "by the book". You might want to get other manuals as time goes by.

Be mindful of bullet seating depth (cartridge overall length).
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Welcome lizard.

I joined this forum back in '07 looking for .44 magnum advice... well check the post count, I aint been able to shut up since;)

This is a great forum to be a part of.

Once that reloading stuff get there, read that Lee manual like the bible. about the fors 125 pages, and when youre done start over. The second time thru it will begin to make sense and youll have a basic understanding of how to use your reloading equipment.

Buy a couple of other manuals as well. I recommend the ABCs of reloading, and Lymans 49th be among them. You will also want to read those the same way, all of the info up til the load data starts, read it all twice.

Good luck.

BTW, my sister-in-law is acticve AF stationed in San Angelo TX, She did 4 years in Anchorage AK and is currently in her 10th year of service.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Lizard, sorry to hear about your father. Glad to hear that he passed on some knowledge and skills that you can take with you through life; not just the hunting/shooting/reloading aspect, but most importantly taking the Time to pass this along. It is the one thing that I can never replace and I spend as much time as possible trying to pass along quality things for my kids to learn and enjoy.

There are some great sticky threads at the beginning of this forum and I'm pretty sure you've probably already gone through a few threads here and there also. If you have a question, it's probably already been answered, but I can assure you that we don't mind answering it again. No sense in digging through thousands of threads; if you can't find it quickly, post up a new one!

I first found TFF back in 2009 and have learned alot and got to meet some very great people. I have been reloading since 2006, so I'm not exactly "experienced" either; reloading is an ongoing learning experience whether you're at it for 1 month or 20 years; I still have questions. It all comes down to attention to detail and taking the time to read, read and read so that you understand exactly what is happening in the reloading process.

Semper Fidelis and cya around !!

Woolley
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

Welcome and as a relative newbie to reloading myself -just a couple years now - there are no dumb questions when things that go BANG are involved - lol

And of course, THANK YOU for your service!
  7. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Welcome FNG. I'm also a D-M troop currently in Iraq.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Louie, and thank you for your service. I am a 30 year Army retiree, myself. I am very sorry to hear about your Dad, prayers for family have been sent.

There is a world of knowledge in this forum and I haven't found any one yet who would not pass along some of it, if asked.

But watch for LD, he hates Lee stuff!;) :D :D
  9. Texxut

Texxut Member

LOL, :D jdmoody, you're making me fall out my chair here!

Welcome Louie, You'll like it here. Some people load to shoot, sometimes I think I shoot to load.
    Sorry about your Dad. I lost mine 25 years ago and I'm still coming up with questions I'd like to ask him.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.