FNP 45 USG Malfunction

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by Old Salt, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt New Member

Just purchased a new FNP 45 USG, and discovered a major malfunction right out of the box. The ambidextrous “slide release lever” WILL NOT release the slide from the right side of the gun with an empty magazine in place. It WILL release the slide from the left side with an empty Mag in place.

The website (www.fnhusa.com) specifically calls them “Ambidextrous slide release levers” as does the owner’s manual with the gun. Upon calling FN, and talking to “Bob”, I was met with numerous excuses, and misrepresentations… To wit “They are slide lock levers” ….NOT TRUE…. It is still “Ambidextrous slide release levers” under the “FNP 45 Series Handguns” “Features” listing on their website, and in the accompanying handbook.

The strength and rigidity of the lever is too flimsy, and weak, to depress the magazine follower from the right side to release the slide lock. All it does is “bend” or “flex”, down without releasing the slide. With the gun disassembled, and an empty magazine in place, you can actually see the entire slide release mechanism bend and flex without moving the magazine follower AT ALL…. Very tinny!!! IMHO, very poor quality….similar to the trigger pin slippage problem in the FNP 45 USG that is still unaddressed by FN. It WILL release the slide with the magazine out of the gun….. useless!

They obviously have known about this problem for some time because their prepared answer is to “Rename the lever vice fixing the problem. I find it totally unacceptable for a gun Manufacturer of this supposed quality to use this kind of excuse to support their product. I have several less (much less) expensive guns with ambidextrous slide release levers that function flawlessly. I did the research, and unfortunately believed the data presented on their website as true.

I present this material so that anyone considering purchasing a product from this Manufacturer is fully aware of their attitude toward product quality. Anybody want to buy it cheap?