Foam bore cleaner

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lead, Dec 8, 2004.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I saw a commercial on the Outdoor Channel for a spray bore cleaner that foams up, and is supposed to clean out your bore without the need of a brush. You just let it sit, then run a patch through to clean it out. I can't remember who made it, and my local shop didn't know what I was talking about. Anyone use this stuff, and is it as good as the ad said it was?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

LOL, this question goes right along with your signature Lead. :D

I too would like to know how this stuff works, I've often thought about rigging up one of those electronic barrel cleaners but just never have.

Wish I could give some information, I've always done things the old fashioned way with plenty elbo grease, and have recently gotten into the Bore Snakes which work real well on mildly cruddy barrels.

Hope you get your answer, I'll be watching as well.

~Crpdeth
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

I just bought some Wipeout last month. Used it on my .308 that has been cleaned properly each outing, but hasn't been shot in over a week, and properly felt a bit sheepish. Applied the stuff as directions stated, waited an hour, and the first patch came out VERY blue......indicating lots of copper came out on the patch. So far, I think it's great stuff. It's not as effective on lead/carbon as Hoppes #9, but it sure works on the copper. No smell, drips, splatter, and you can leave it in the bore overnight without concern. I'll buy some more.

Wipeout

EABCO has it for $11 a can.
  4. lead

lead Active Member

Crpdeth, thanks for deflating my ego(I've got to get a new signature line!) :D
    I really was just thinking about taking better care of the barrel. A guy at work told me he saw something at Walmart that was a foaming cleaner but he didn't buy it because it was alot more than the other cleaners. I'll have to check it out.
    Thanks Jay. Ill look for that Wipeout.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Hoppe's No. 9 does not remove copper. That is why you saw all the blue the first time you used the copper removing foam. I wonder how the foam compares to Shototer's Choice or even Hoppe's Copper removing solution?

The way most of the copper cleaners remove copper is with ammonia. Ammonia attacks steel. It concerns me leaving any of these copper removers in the barrel for more than a few minutes. Over night, I think not. I start with No. 9 then the copper removing liquid and then back to No. 9 to get the ammonia out of the barrel. These companies can claim it doesn't hurt the barrel but I will not risk any of my barrels to prolonged exposure to a compound that science says attacks steel.

I have used the electronic barrel cleaner. It removes metal. Any fowling from powder stops the electronic plating action so several intermediate cleanings are necessary along the way to get the next level of fowling out to expose the next level of copper or lead. It is not set it up and come back hours later with it finished. It also takes many hours.

I have often wondered if I don't clean too much. After all match shooters use fowling shots before taking there first shot for score. Why not just mildly clean the gun to start with? I stop cleaning when the bench is full of dirty patches and I'm tired. I never seem to get to the clean patch coming out of the barrel. I use the right patches, brushes, solvents and the barrel looks spotless to the eye but the patches still come out with some black on them. Anyone else have this problem?

LDBennett
  6. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

LD: Yes I do, I ran patches through my old .22 rifle until I was blue in the face and I still had black showing on the patch. I wonder if the cleaning rod is depositing material on the barrel and it is just enough to show up on the patch. I used 200 patches before I finally quit. I can get my hand guns clean, thus my theory on the rod.
    Smoky the weird
  7. LDBennett

Smoky:

I think the fowling and metal gets into the pores of the metal (??) and keeps coming out. I once tried to save an military surplus rifle that had used corrosive ammo (unless cleaned immediately the corrosive residue from the corrosive primers etches the barrel). Every patch came out black and the barrel always was dark. Even the electronic cleaning didn't work.

Barrels must have microscopic pores that hold the fowling and slowly release it to the patches as they move by. I have cleaned between shots at the range while breaking in a new barrel and still never got the patches clean after only one bullet went down the barrel since the last cleaning of the never fired barrel. I am beginning to think that you put in an effort (whatever you can handle) and just stop, black patch or not. I think it makes not an iota of a difference in the performance of the barrel for accuracy. But some of my guns show copper in the grooves at the muzzle end and I don't stop on them (using copper cleaning solution) until the copper is gone. Copper attracks more copper (or lead more lead for that matter) and can lead to a visible clump in the barrel (it has happened to me with lead!).

I use to like to clean my guns but after 20 years of cleaning nearly once a week I am tiring of it! And as time goes by the chemicals don't seem to be as effective. Must be dilution to satisfy the environmentalists(??).

LDBennett
  8. Craig

Craig New Member

I have heard several good reports on Wipeout from some long range shooters. Have not yet tried it though.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Maybe this will help those who think this product contains acids and ammonia. This is from the article Jay left a pointer to.

10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

That does help, Rick, thanks.

Although I surfed to Jays link I must admit it is a lenghty page and I didn't read the products properties.

Sound to me like the stuff is at least worth a try.

Personally, I dont mind if it takes a while, as an amateur cook I realize the best things always do.
    What about ease of use, eg, setting up, taking down? Complicated or no? I've always wanted to try one of these things, but fear that it would be a little complicated.

Hey Smokey! Good to see yaz, ya ol' weirdo! Where ya been¿¿¿ :D

~Crpdeth
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

If you read it all, there are some good testimonials and also an accelerant they sell to speed up the wipe out to minutes. The testimonials, especially the first one from a world record holder, speak for itself. Think I'm going to try it.

Rick
  12. LDBennett

crpdeth:

The electronic cleaning is fairly simple to set up. You position the gun barrel vertically (in bench vise or?) then install an o-ring on the rod and insert it into the barrel. Next add the solution down the barrel and put another o-ring on the top and push it down to center the rod in the barel. If you are lucky it won't leak the solution out through the chamber. Attach the electrical leads, one to the barrel and one to the rod as per the directions and turn it on. The powder and carbon fowling must be removed before starting this as the device only removes either the lead or copper depending on the solution you use. Once you remove that metal it reveals the next level of carbon fowling. So dump the solution back into the bottle, pull the rod, clean the rod, clean the carbon fowling out again and start all over with the rod and solution. You need to repeat this until no metal is found on the rod and the barrel has no more fowling and carbon in it. A light comes on when the cleaning process ends for each part of the electronic cleaning (when the transfer of the lead or copper to the rod stops). It is not the "cooking time" that is the problem but the intermediate "stirring time" which lasts over a day or two. By the time it is "cooked" the desire for it has gone.

The whole process takes too long and requires too much intervention during the process, at least in my experience. Maybe my test cases were extreme examples. Anyone got anything good to say about it???

LDBennett
  13. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

Donny: I've been fighing a battle with the VA for the last year and it looks like it will go on for a couple more. I check in and read what you've been up to then hit the the appeal. All my paper work is in and I'm waiting for records so I finally get a chance to "wise off"
    Smoky the off ???
  14. ImFunCity

ImFunCity New Member

Re: Wipe-out

I'm not trying to o diss one or promote another and I get no royalties! I read the reviews in the gun mags, then online, bought and used Wipe-Out on two fairly new, hardly used barrels, it seemed to work fine, but I had nothing to compare it too.

I then tried it on an 1894 that had no rifling showing and had not been cleaned for years - Wipe-out was a wipe-out. I left it set in the barrel as recommended, again twice as long, again over night, and finally for over 24hrs - no obvious change in the bore, no rifling. I then tried three other popular "guaranteed to work" chemicals mentioned by a lot of folks and carried by everyone, using the same system and setting time as with Wipe-Out, NO help.

Finally, I used a stainless steel brush with Tipton's Truly Remarkable Bore Solvent. (I had it because it had been on sale at MidwayUSA!) After each complete cleaning process it looked better and better, by the third complete cleaning the bore had rifling and clean patches, it looked great with maybe a couple of very small pitted areas that one would expect in a barrel over 100 yrs old! The barrel has now been inspected by two gunsmiths, they said it looked great and that shooting it would likely resolve/fill-in the small pitted areas!

I've obviously become a Remarkable fan.
    Im
  15. LDBennett

ImFunCity:

While I understand that you were able to recover the barrel bore of you rifle with drastic measures, in general it not good to be using Stainless Steel brushes on any bore. It scratches the bore. In your case it didn't mater but for a bore in good shape using a SS brush is bad. Since both the barrel and bruss are steel the result is the SS brush will mark the bore and maybe impact the accuracy (??). Brass brushes are a different matter as the bore is much harder than the brush and the brush just wears out and the bore is not marked. Given your situation I too would have resorted to the SS brush.

LDBennett