Food Safety: U.S. Rice Serves Up Arsenic

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by keepitlow, Mar 2, 2010.

1. keepitlow

keepitlow New Member

2. jondar

jondar New Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I had never considered this. We eat very little meat but lots of rice. Lots of different brands on the market. I'll start looking at the labels now.
  3. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Lived in S. La. for 40 years. Ate a lot of rice. Acquired a taste for med. grain rice which cooks up better and tastes better than long grain rice. Tried Jasmin rice and other foreign rice but settled on local brands. The nature of La. cooking results in eating 1-2 cups of rice in a meal several times per week. i.e gumbo, stews, etouffes, jambalaya, rice and beans and the like as well as oriental meals. My wife and I as well as my 6 kids and their families show no symptoms of Arsenic poisoning. Looks like another attempt by the feds to demonize a product or inflict fear into the population like with Alar on apples, coffee is bad for you and on and on. Wonder what the rice Industry did to Obama to become a target.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Exactly. Between the government and the media, there are a lot of smear campaigns going on lately, it seems.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Don't forget the Arsenic in our drinking water. :mad:
  6. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Chocolate bars contain Arsenic, too. So much that if you eat enough chocolate bars, you could die from Arsenic poisoning.

What a cruel world we live in.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    As long as we don't eat red meat, white meat, fruit with skin on it or drink water or milk or coffee or breathe the air we will be fine. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning...unless of course you are under the age of... or you have taken... or if you have ever had a reaction to...

All I know is that for the last 3 generations we ate bacon growed on the farm, potatoes dug out of the garden, milk from our cow, eggs from our coop, wild game from the surrounding woods, fish from the Wisconsin river and northwoods lakes and had lots of butter or lard in darn near everything we ate. They all lived to near 100 and I am a wreck at 65. They smoked and drank, I do neither...............I think I just discovered my problem.
  8. wpage

wpage Active Member

Little arsenic and old lace does a body good!
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

That is a real problem in our area. The granite apparently contains naturally occuring arsenic and it gets into well water. We have it in our well water in levels now above the current standard. We tested the water when we bought the house in 1988 and saw the levels were below the standard that was in place at the time but decided to put in an RO system for our drinking water. Since then our drinking water levels have been ND and the standard was lowered so it was the right thing for us to do.
  10. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Here in Wi. the DNR puts out a book of all the lakes in the state. It tells what fish are in each lake and how deep it is and how much mercury is in the lake. Back about 4or5 years ago in just one year they added 600 lakes in the book that had mercury. So just ask how that clean water and air bill they passed years ago worked out for us. I can't remmber how much money they through away on that one.
  11. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Safe levels of contaminants in food and water for the most part are politically driven. As our ability to test cheaply for smaller amounts of trace elements and molecules the greater the desire of our misleaders to stampede the public into accepting more and more govt. control over their lives. Mercury is killing and enfeebling us. Yet I recall a study of Mercury contamination of partially fossilized fish bones in S. La. and it was the same as for fish caught in waters off the coast of La. 30-40 years ago.

Now we have an obesity epidemic and no one points out that there has been almost no change in the weight of citizens. The epidemic is the result of Congress changing the definition of obesity. Changing definitions is a cheep and easy way to declare an emergency and grab power. For example, for you older people, remember when french fries used to taste great? How about movie popcorn? Coconut oil is bad for you so you can't get good popcorn at the theater 1 or 2 times per month because theater operators have been pressured into dropping coconut oil. Now they use artificial flavorings. Large molecules with no track record. From my days of organic chemistry in college, I am real leery of consuming large organic molecules. I have been able to fox them, I can now get coconut oil from the Amish and make popcorn and watch movies at home.

Some of the highest naturally occurring Arsenic levels in public water supplies occur in parts of the Dakotas. The feds are helping by forcing the construction of a very expensive water treating plant in that area at a cost of many thousands of dollars per family in that sparsely populated area in response to tighter limits in Arsenic levels. I wonder how many farmers in that area will loose their farms because they can't pay for the water plant. This is in response to the massive die off of the residents of these areas that "never" occurred in this generation or any of the prior generations. Oh wait!!!! Look at all those people that died since the area was settled in the 1880s. There has been a 100% die off of the original settlers. Must be the Arsenic or was it the movie popcorn?

As far as the increase in the number of "polluted lakes" in Wisconsin and elsewhere since Congress made funds available and mandated the testing of never before tested lakes, guess what. Oh look!!!!, "Lakes are being polluted at an alarming rate. Sheeshe! Will the scams out of Washington ever cease?

Some times I feel as though I am being forced down a funnel. Is Congress making sausage?

End of rant.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Rant on, Trouble!
    Both our bread and our circuses are poisoned.
    Look deep friends.