For Conceald Carry; A .22 Mag, .32 ACP or a .38 Special?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Smokeater52

Smokeater52 New Member

I would have to reccomend the .38 or a 9mm. I have carried the S&W Bodyguard as well as the XD sub-compact 9mm. Both are very good guns. At first I was all about the .38 wheel gun because of it dependability, but after 3000 rounds without a single problem, I love my XD. It all boils down to what is comfortable to you. Hope this helps!
  2. aryfrosty

aryfrosty Member

Smokeater I think your last statement said it best. In the final analysis the weapon a person carries with the intent to possibly use it in self-defense should be the one the carrier feels most comfortable with. I have "enough" of a collection that I can carry what I wish to and I practice as often as possible in order to be familiar with them. But I admit to being most comfortable with a Smith M-64, 3". I have found myself gravitating to it many times when I "Suit up" to go out into the public world. I have personally done the action work and I know it well and know I can count on it.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

It's a cool-looking pistol and I'm personally tempted to buy one just because it's so unique... but it looks a lot longer than a mid-sized Glock, though I have not seen the two side-by-side.

Concealed carry handguns that are large, bulky, heavy or uncomfortable tend not to be carried by the average guy (average gals get to carry in their purse).

I'd recommend a 9mm mid-size auto for two main reasons: (1) it's flatter than a revolver, and holds against your anatomy more comfortably; and (2) most hold more than six rounds.
  4. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

me 38 hands down
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

KelTec PMR-30 is advertised as a "full-size" handgun. Here's the specs:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    Calibers: .22 Magnum (.22WMR)
    Weight unloaded: 13.6oz. 385.6g
    Loaded Magazine: 6oz. 170.1g
    Length: 7.9" 200.7mm
    Height: 5.8" 147.3mm
    Width: 1.3" 33.0mm
    Barrel length: 4.3" 109.2mm
    Sight radius: 6.9" 175.3mm
    Energy (40gr): 138ft-lbs 187J
    Capacity: 30 rounds
    Trigger pull: 4-6 lbs 17.8-26.7N
  6. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Wow! 30 rounds. Now thats what I call being able to follow up the first shot!
  7. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Can I vote for the .327 Federal after looking at the muzzle energy charts on that site?:eek:

Ballistics out of a 3" barrel (using the strongest loads listed):
    .38 Special Speer 135gr- 892fps 280ft-lbs
    9mm Cor Bon 115gr +P- 1245fps 390ft-lbs
    .45ACP Cor Bon 185gr +P- 999fps 415ft-lbs
    .357 Magnum Cor Bon 125gr- 1271fps 450ft-lbs
    .327 Federal Speer 115gr- 1316fps 440ft-lbs

That little .327 brings the heat! Then factor that you can throw 6 of those in a J-frame that normally only holds 5 .38 rounds! Out of a Ruger GP100 with the 4" barrel it dials up to 600ft-lbs and you hold 7 shots. That thing is straight nasty, why would you even bother with a .38 Special when something like that exists?
  8. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

lol yeah but with the rimfire shell type u might get a dead spot in a primer an have it ftf on you so u'll have to cock it again if you can get that far , for concealed carry go with a center fire cartridge handgun , i carry my 1911 gi expert in 45acp loaded with 8 magtech personell deffense rounds ,i was also thinken about carrying my 500 s&w magnum , but whats the chances ill need to shoot thru 3/4 inches of steel lol
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Plasma. Not just hot gas, superheated molecules, as in "plasma cutter".

I checked on this issue with a couple of expert gunsmiths, one of whom has been doing work on revolvers for over fifty years, who confirmed my analysis. And it isn't a matter of cleaning crud out of the chambers; the chambers themselves are vaporized slightly with each round. The metal evaporates. That's why plasma cutters go through steel like butter. And, as I said before, occasional use of a .38 cartridge in a gun chambered for .357 isn't going to cause any problems. But consistent use will damage the cylinder.
  10. Boris

Boris Former Guest

If that's the case magnums would damage it even further.

Oh, and I doubt any cartridge can reach the 50000f temps a plasma torch can reach
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  11. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    "Irresponsible"? Well, I suppose a .22 will work if you can get the bullet to go precisely where you want it to and you're close enough to the target. So technically inaccurate. A feeble attempt at humor as a way of characterizing my opinion; hyperbole, perhaps. But "irresponsible"?
  12. rustyfugger

rustyfugger Member

.38 spl w/ +P Hollow Pts.
  13. Old John

Old John New Member

A .38 special would be my choice, of the three. However I carry a .357 magnum, most days. For the days I need to tuck in my shirt and carry a pocket gun, I have a Ruger .38 special LCR, in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
    At this moment I have the .357 magnum Ruger LCR in a Strong side Pancake holster on my belt.
    Make your own choice, whatever you are comfortable with. We live or die by our choices, sometimes.
  14. ms6852

ms6852 Active Member

All calibers mentioned are lethal, but the question remains...WHEN? Most gunfights are over with no more than 2 or 3 shots fired. With the smaller pocket pistols you have to be very very close to be accurate. For me it is too close for comfort. I was amazed that I missed a paper plate at 5 yards with my 642 38 special when I can get 3 inch groups with my 1911. So if you need to stop some one quick and they are very close to you the 38 gets my vote.
  15. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

MY opinion only. I see no point to a .22 or .32 for self defense unless your VERY good and train a lot.
    I have trained many people in defensive shooting over the years, if your NOT going to invest the time, the larger caliber is better, IMHO.
    That's MY opinion, take it for what it's worth. As far as I'm concerned, .22 is for huntin' squirrels and such, and the .32 is SO close to a .380 acp in physical size, why bother?
    Incapacitation is the issue, and I don't believe that the .22 or .32 is all that good without precise placement.
    As a last ditch backup maybe, but not for your primary piece.
    As an aside, I had a customer shoot himself in the shoulder on the range with a .22 mag from a NAA mini-revolver, he was calm and walked out to the ambulance with no vislble ill effect. Near total penetration, chipped the collar bone too. And yes, it was an H.P. bullet. And no, he admitted he's no tough guy. No .22's for me for self defense.