For Conceald Carry; A .22 Mag, .32 ACP or a .38 Special?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Nov 6, 2011.

1. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Agreed, except that my Wife's .38 Taurus snub can put 5 shots in a 4" group at 25 feet. Could be the ammo in your case, some are finicky.
  2. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Member

.22 magnum is loud, surprisingly loud. And out of a short pistol barrel, it's ballistics are about like that of a .22 LR shot from a rifle. So shot from a pistol, the .22 magnum is a loud, little bullet. You better be a very, very good marksman under pressure to be effective.

I'd stick with the .38 Special for concealed carry if I were you.
  3. franco45

franco45 New Member

I carry a 642 in the winter. But I also throw my 22 mag. NAA Pug in my jacket pocket as backup. I just purchased a Ruger SP101 in 357 mag. which will be my everyday winter carry when I find a good holster.
    I used to carry a Kel-Tec p32. One night I had a close call and found myself wishing I had a little more firepower available.
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

get a desert eagle and keep it in your drawers jk . I would go with whats most comfortable within your preferences. Any one of those calibers will work okay against a individual that is trying to harm you are trying to harm a family member or friend. I would go with the lightest but highest caliber you can get. Really I would go with the .38
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

you don't want to piss off the BG you want to eliminate the threat... out of those three it would be the .38 hands down...
  6. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

a 38 is nice but lets look at the facts why was a 45acp made ? to stop people , what does it do ,,, it stops people , thats why the military used them for how long again ?? go 45acp u cant go wrong with it :patriotic:
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

It depends where you shoot the individual at but yes that caliber has alot of stopping power. :cool:
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Stopping power is a feel good buzz phrase. There is no such a thing. Americans get tunnel vision sometimes. 9x19mm has been in service longer than 45 and has been used in more war by more army's than any other pistol caliber world wide. If it were a failure no one would use it. So would that mean it has more stopping power than 45ACP?
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The OP limited us to three choices, .22mag, 32APC, and .38spcl. I voted for the .38. I like large bullets! I carry the .45ACP, or a .44spcl. But that's not what the OP was asking for. I would also like to recommend that if you do carry the smaller guns like the .38spcl, or others that have limited fire power, that you carry two of them! New York reload! Drop the empty gun, and grab the loaded one! With only 5 - 7 rounds of ammo that is not considered to be the best man stoppers, you might want a little insurance. Though I carry a large caliber weapon, I still always carry a BUG!