for large bore hand-gunners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

There has been a bunch of folks offering to trade me their 44Mag for one of my guns. I wonder what it is that I am missing? so I am going to ask.
    What large caliber hand gun do you shoot?
    how often do you shoot it?
    what do you shoot with it, Game or Targets?
    what brand do you own? why that one over another?
    If given a choice which would rather have? why ?
    I would really like to know because I am considering either a 454 or a 44mag. This would be a sometime shooter and a scoped hunting handgun for me, not any everyday range target gun.
    I have shot the 500 and just don't want it to much gun!!!!
    And besides there are just not that many WOOLLY MAMMOTHS around this part of Fl. :rolleyes:
    Ron
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

LOL I like my Super Redhawk, but I just dont shoot it enough and it's no longer an interest for me. I do like it for hunting though. I carry it on my hip on the way to the deer stand and leave my rifle on my back. Had some 300 grain cast lead bullets I was just itchin to try on a deer, but never got the chance.

I've got a friend that has a 500. He said he shot a opossum in his back yard and all he found of it was a patch of fur. That's just too much gun and too expensive to shoot.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A dang old 22long will take a possum and leave pleanty to eat ifing you was hungury enough, so why a 500 S&W?
    I must be dumb or dense I just don't understand it. My 357 mag will take a normal deer at twenty to twenty-five steps. beyond that I have a 30-06 a 6.5 x 55 a 358 winchester several shot guns.
    I can shoot my 45 acp or /and my 357's all day long at the range and enjoy them, can/ do you do that with the 44 mag? and why do folks where them MJ gloves when they shoot the 44's or larger hand guns?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, lets see. I don't really like big bore handguns. I will leave out the 45 ACP Auto's due to room constraints.

Ruger Blackhawks - 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 41 Mag, 32 H&R Mag,
    30 Carbine

Ruger Redhawk - 44 Mag, 41 Mag

Smith&Wesson - 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 44 Special, 41 Mag ( 'N' Frames)

Taurus - 44 Special 3"

Nope, just can't stand them big bores! :rolleyes: ;) :p
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

To put it simply, they wear them gloves cause they are pansies. It's for one of two reasons, they either dont wanna get dirty or supposedly to reduce felt recoil. Either way, thier pansies.

I like the .44 just cause it's got more mass to it, so it's gonna give better penetration and hit harder.

I aint really sure why people want a 500 though. Compensating for something?
  6. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

500 TMG What you talking about. Weren't you paying attention when I shot that? That little gun is great. And just think if someone broke in to your house you would only have to shoot them once. HEHEHE. I want a 4" 500S&W MAG. But don't have the $$$$$ that it will cost.

Ray
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have several calibers in my collection that I would refer to as big bores: 45ACP, 44 Mag, 45LC, 357 Max. I have several of each in most cases but the one gun that is the most fun to shoot and is really accurate is the S&W 4 inch 44 Mag pistol shooting 44 mag brass loaded to 44 Special levels. It pushes so you know you have shot something but it doesn't hurt like full load 44 Mag. I like the feel of firing all these big bores and they do not intimidate me into flinching. One of my friends becomes a flinching mess when he shoots anything bigger than 22LR. And he is a match winning shooter, so it is not technique but fear. While I like to shoot all my guns of all calibers big and small, if forced to keep just one gun it would have to be that S&W along with a bunch of down loaded ammo.

LDBennett